Chapter Three

I stared, dumbfounded, at Alex, contemplating my next move. Did I deny it and risk him telling Jason? Or did I play it cool and act like it was no big deal?

"I beg your pardon?" I asked, choosing the safe option instead; confusion.

"Sorry," he stated. "I can be rather abrupt sometimes."

You don't say!

"You're not particularly good at hiding your feelings. You look longingly towards him and seemed awfully pleased when he remembered your pizza order."

"And that's what you're basing this off?" I questioned, almost amused. "The fact that I offer my roommate eye contact and smile when he remembers what my favourite pizza is. We're friends. Simple."

"Yet you want more?" he pushed, certainly not letting the matter drop.

Ugh!!

"Look, Alex..."

"You can't even bring yourself to lie, can you?"

A deep blush creeped up my face, mocking in its arrival. If it wasn't obvious before, it most certainly was now. I never was any good at lying. My damn morals would never allow for such a thing.

"I can't- you can't-"

"Pizza is ordered!" announced Jason, re-entering the kitchen. "Anna is on her way over too. I figured you guys could meet."

Alex had to physically pry his eyes away from me, struggling to let go of our intensity.

"Awesome," he replied, still holding on to our previous conversation. "Can't wait."

****

I avoided all eye contact for the time it took our pizza and Anna to arrive. I couldn't look in Jason's direction without blushing and as for Alex...well.

"Everything okay, Ebony? You're very quiet tonight." asked Anna, stealing another slice of Jason's meat feast.

He kissed her on the forehead and pulled her closer to him. The action was subtle, yet it stabbed me hard in the gut. I wanted that.

"I guess I'm just tired," I lied, pulling my brunette locks into a messy bun.

Is it just me or is it hot in here?

It didn't help that I could feel a certain pair of eyes fixated on mine. The intensity in which Alex was staring at me proved almost too much. Why was he torturing me? Couldn't he see I was a nervous wreck?

"Monday's are your busy days, aren't they?" she asked, sympathetic as ever.

I simply nodded.

"What are you studying?" enquired Alex, seemingly interested.

"Elementary education," I prided, noticing straight away his delight.

"You liking it?"

"Loving it," I replied, truly meaning it.

He smiled in response.

"I personally don't see why anyone would wanna teach kiddies!" stated Jason, physically cringing at the thought. "Snot, tears and attitude! That's what you'll be faced with on a daily basis."

"Those snot-dripping, tear-streaming, attitude-giving 'kiddies' are our future," I protested, feeling very strongly about this. "If humanity is going to survive, we need to educate future generations."

"But snot, Ebony. SNOT!" he insisted, making me smile.

Alex interrupted. "I'll argue that by the time children reach elementary level, they've learned to combat their bodily fluids."