Chapter Twenty-One

As Alex pulled my suitcase from the carousel, I shamelessly checked out his ass, more than a little impressed. How one kept such tight buns, I'd never know. Still, I wasn't one to complain. Not at all.

"You ready?" he asked, linking his fingers through mine.

I offered him a nod and kissed him on the cheek. "You bet."

We walked hand-in-hand towards the airport exit, keen to get started on our vacation. Beneath all our excitement, however, lay undeniable dread. And no matter what, I couldn't shake it. Chloe and Lucas would be here soon if they weren't already and I wasn't sure if Alex was truly ready for a reunion.

"How you feeling?" I asked, squeezing down on his hand.

"Nervous," he replied, truthfully.

I shot him a reassuring smile and kept his hand in mine the entire time it took us to get to the hotel. Check-in was thankfully fast and straightforward, though we were no sooner shown to our room than we were out of it again. Georgie and Tom had planned an arrival dinner for their guests in the main restaurant, making avoiding a certain couple impossible.

"I just can't believe they've done this!" sneered Georgie, red with rage.

She was speaking to her husband-to-be and although venomous, it was clear her anger was not at all aimed at him.

"Babe, I get it. I do. But let's not freak out."

"Tom, I'm way past freaking out! He's my best friend, for fuck's sake!"

At this, Alex froze. "Everything okay?"

Georgie straightened her posture and looked towards us with regret written across her every feature. She looked just about ready to cry.

"Can we talk to you both in private for a minute?"

We followed her and Tom towards a secluded room, a little unsure as to what awaited us there.

The sheer size of this place was grand. Each room was massive and decorated to perfection. Red and gold wallpaper gave the entire hotel a rather regal feel, making it seem as though we were in a castle. And the views—man, the views! But that wasn't important right now. What was important was me sweating in my pretty, red dress due to the look of doom on Georgie's face.

"Gee, you're scaring me," uttered Alex, practically pleading with her.

She shook her head, close to tears. "He's here."

"Who is?"

"Teddy."

Silence.

"We made it perfectly clear there were to be no children but Chloe's mom let them down last minute. They've brought him with them."

Fuck. Shit. Bollocks!

"If you want to go home, I'll understand," she insisted. "I'll even pay for your tickets-"

I looked to Alex, leaving the ball totally in his court. I couldn't imagine what this was doing to him. To know that the little boy he once thought was his was currently in the same hotel as him. Alongside the bastards who betrayed him in the first place. What a cruelty!

"It's okay," he said, finally breaking through the silence. "I want to be here for you. Both of you."

Georgie let go of the tears she'd been holding back. "Are you sure?"

Alex grabbed my hand and brought my knuckles up to his mouth, making it his mission to kiss each once. "Absolutely. I wouldn't miss this for the world."

"See, babe," interrupted Tom, shooting Alex a grateful smile. "I told you he'd be fine. All this stressing out isn't good for the baby."

Oops...

"Baby?"

Georgie looked ready to murder Tom.

"Are you guys pregnant?" asked Alex, losing his mind with excitement.

Georgie nodded.

"Holy shit, that's great!" He declared, leaving go of my hand to hug them both.

I watched on as Alex glowed from his best friend's news and although I didn't think it was possible to love him any more than I already did, I felt myself falling further into him.
Learning that Georgie was pregnant moments after being told Teddy was here couldn't have been easy. Yet, here he was, exceeding all expectations. Again.

"You're not mad?" she asked, looking towards him with teary eyes.

"Mad?" he replied. "I'm fucking ecstatic!"

"You and me both," agreed Tom, slapping him on the back. "And although we've not had the chance to talk about it yet, it goes without saying that we'd love for you to be Godfather."

My heart shattered.

"I-I'd love that," he whispered growing emotional.

I approached his side within seconds and slipped my hand into his, offering him the strength I knew he needed.

"Thank you, both. So much," he began, squeezing my fingers. "I know I've not been around much lately but that's all going to change after today. If you'll still have me, that is?"

"Oh, Alex!" cried Georgie, wrapping her arms around his neck. "We'd love nothing more. Ebony, too!"

Hearing my name made me spring into action.

"Of course," I replied, squeezing her arm.

I shot a look to Alex, hoping that in doing so, he knew just how proud I was. Everything he did came from a place of love. Even now, he was willing to see his ex fiancé and ex best friend (alongside their Son who was once thought to be his) rather than risk upsetting his best friend on her wedding weekend.

What a fucking hero!

****

Oh, Alex!!

Someone give this guy a goddamn cuddle!

Ya'll ready for the reunion?