Chapter Five

The atmosphere was electric as Jez, Cordelia and I set up on stage. The band that were on before us loaned us their microphone (thank god) seeing as ours decided to cut out. Jez reckoned it was down to faulty wiring. Me? I didn't care. As long as we had a solution.

My usual nerves churned in my stomach, made worse by a certain someone's insistence to tag along. Jason had brought my singing up this morning around the breakfast bar and upon showing interest, suggested Alex come along for tonight's gig. Jason and Anna always made it their business to support me and for the most part, I appreciated that. Tonight, however, I was feeling the pressure. Because of him. Alex.

"Test one, two."

Jez adjusted the microphone's volume level and offered me a thumbs up once satisfied.

"Good to go," he stated, offering my arm a quick squeeze. "Break a leg!"

"Thanks. You too," I replied, taking one last sip of water before approaching my instrument.

I wore a black, denim skirt with a simple T-shirt, pairing it with my trusty heeled-boots. My hair was down and lightly curled (per Cordelia's request), acting's as an extension to my every gesture. If I moved, it moved, swooshing around my breasts in a somewhat teasing manner.

"Hi, everyone! I'm Ebony, this is Jez and together, we're the Struggling Somebodies."

A light applause sounded throughout the busy room, muffled mostly by the chit chat happening elsewhere. If I had to guess, we currently had the attention of approximately twenty people, which was actually pretty decent. No one ever paid attention to indie bands unless they had a reason to. Jez and I usually made it our mission to give them a reason.

"Ready, big guy?" I asked, positioning my mouth away from the microphone.

Jez answered by diving straight into the intro of our first number, going all out on performance. His fingers flew across the stings on his acoustic, filling the room with a delicious sound. I simply watched for a moment before joining in, truly transported by the music we were creating. Lyrics spilled from my mouth, whilst my body took on a life of its own. I worked the stage, making sure to cover both sides. I bantered with the audience between each song, spotting a few of our regulars. Zac, our neighbour, was up front and centre, enjoying our set more than anyone. His arms were up in the air, swinging around like a man possessed. Next to him were his classmates; a bunch of guys from the marketing course. By song four, we had most of the venue up and dancing, gifting us the perfect opportunity to slow things down a little.

"We're gonna chill things out with this next one," I informed, looking to Jez.

He shot me an appreciative smile.

"I love you, Ebony!!" screamed Cordelia, slightly to our left.

"I paid her to say that," I joked, causing laughter to ripple throughout.

Jez strummed his guitar on an amused laugh, unsurprised by his girlfriends antics. I started singing an acoustic version of Maroon Five's She Will Be Loved and made accidental eye contact with Alex over by the bar. He looked truly transfixed, maybe even a little in awe. I held his gaze throughout the entire song, dedicating it to him. He smiled towards the end and was the first to applause, jumping from his seat to do so.

"Thank you, guys! You've been incredible tonight," I stated, adjusting the mic stand. "We've come to our last song so I better see you all up and dancing."

Valerie kick started and before I knew it, the crowed were going wild. This song always went down a treat at venues like this. Over the years, Jez and I learned what worked and what didn't. By now, we were pros.

"Thank you for being incredible, guys. Goodnight!"

The club music started up as Jez and I took to removing our equipment, handing back the microphone to the band before us. I then quickly dashed to the restroom, freshening up my hair and make up before seeking out my friends.

"Girl, you killed it tonight," delighted Cordelia, practically jumping on me.

I hugged her and squeezed extra hard for the sake of offering up my thanks.

"You're the one who got us on the lineup," I stressed, accepting a beer from Jez.

"Ebony Lowes! Get over here," stressed Jason, well on his way to being tipsy.

I fought my way to where they were all stood and found myself being pulled into one of his drunken shows of affection. When drunk, Jason was a hugger.

"You did amazing," he slurred, slinging an arm around my shoulder. "So, so good!"

"Thanks." I laughed, sipping on my drink.

By total coincidence, I ended up beside Alex, appreciating his lean form in a crisp white, button down shirt and jeans. His hair was styled in its usual precise way, pushed over to one side.

"You're a phenomenal singer."

I blushed. "Thanks. I appreciate you coming along."

I accepted a hug from him and declined his offer for a drink, still making progress on the one in my hand. Zac and his friends then interrupted, paying both Jez and I compliments on our set. They were moving onto the next bar and wanted to catch us before they left.

"See ya!" I shouted, waving all five of them off.

I turned my attention back to Alex and smirked.

"Can I tempt a workaholic into doing some shots?" I asked.

"That depends, can I attempt a future elementary teacher into doing some shots?"

"Oh, absolutely!" I replied, flagging down the bartender.

Whilst placing my order, I felt Alex press into me from behind, no doubt due to the overflowing amount of people currently present. Not that I minded. I happened to like it.

"You're a bad influence on me, Ebony Lowes," accused Alex, positioning his mouth next to my ear.

He flashed the bartender his plastic, insisting on covering the bill.

"I happen to think you're the bad influence," I insisted, turning to face him. "A very, very bad influence."

He smiled. "Just you wait and see."

****

Alex, you flirt!!!

These two definitely share some MAD chemistry.