Chapter Seventeen

I awoke the next morning to an empty bed and a note from Alex:

Sorry I have to work. Have a wonderful day with you mom and I'll see you both later!
Love, Alex
P.S, happy 21st birthday, darling.
x

I smiled down at the piece of paper and ran my fingers along his cursive handwriting. Everything about this man screamed class and I loved it. I loved him.

On one hand, it was crazy that I did. We hadn't been seeing each other all that long but none of that mattered when he made me feel the things I did. Invincible. Beautiful. Worthy.

"Ebony?"

Mom's sweet voice filtered in through my bedroom door, inquisitive as ever. I'd given her a spare key last night and she was seemingly making good use of it.

"Come in!" I replied, sitting up.

She opened my door and came shuffling in, holding a bag of presents in one hand and a huge bouquet of flowers in the other.

"Happy birthday, sweetheart!"

"Oh, Mom! Those are gorgeous," I exclaimed, jumping to my feet.

I ran to her and sniffed the red roses, truly in awe.

"Aren't they? Unfortunately, they're not from me."

"No?" I asked, relieving her of the bunch.

I plucked the card from its centre and read through the small note.

I hope these brighten your morning.
Can't wait to see you later!
Love, Alex
x

"Wow."

"My thoughts exactly."

She shot me a disapproving look; the stereotypical Mom one.

"Mom!"

"Don't you 'Mom' me. I can't believe you kept your relationship a secret from me. We tell each other everything, Ebony. Everything."

"I know." And I felt guilty for having done so. "To be honest, I've hardly had time to register it myself. It was only supposed to be a fling. I didn't mean to fall in love with him."

Mom gasped, followed by a smile. "You love him?"

"Well—yeah."

She grinned, encouraging me into her arms. "I was so worried my past choice in men had put you off for life."

I laughed, shaking my head. "Alex isn't like Dad, Mom."

"I know, baby."

"But he is Jason's brother," I added, sitting back down.

She joined me on the squeaky mattress.

"And is that an issue?"

"Not for me," I insisted. "But Alex does know about my past feelings for his brother and I'm concerned he still thinks they exist."