Chapter 5: Potions, Charms and Madam Hooch

Harry awoke the next morning. He washes up and dries off, then gets dressed with the other boys. He combs his hair the best he can and brushes his teeth. Then puts his glasses on. He pockets his wand, grabs his backpack, and goes down to the common room, where Ron was waiting. Harry said, "Nervous, Ron?" Ron nods, "Yeah, you?" Harry nods, "Yeah, let's head to the Great Hall." Ron grins, "Yeah! I'm starving!" Harry chuckles as they both leave through the portrait hole. They go down the moving staircases and heads for the Great Hall. They go into the Great Hall and eat breakfast. While they were eating breakfast, the Heads of Houses, comes down from the staff table and starts handing out the schedules for the week. McGonagall said, "Harry Snape and Ron Weasley, here are your schedules." She hands them their schedule as they said, "Thank you, Professor." McGonagall said, "Hermione Granger, Here is your schedule." She hands Hermione her schedule as Hermione said, "Thank you, Professor." As McGonagall continues giving out schedules, Harry and Ron looks at theirs. Harry said, "Transfiguration, Potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts first. Then lunch at noon. Then, Broom flying lesson, Charms and History of Magic." Ron said as he looks at his, "I have the same thing as you, Harry." Harry smiles at Ron and said, "That's great! At least I won't be fending for myself in these classes." Ron grins in response. They put their schedules in their backpack and continue eating. Once they finished breakfast, they left for their first lesson, Transfiguration. It took them forever to find the transfiguration classroom. They had gotten lost trying to find it. They enter the classroom at a run, which had some of the students looking at them. They spot a tabby cat sitting still on the teacher's desk, watching them. Ron said, "Whew! We made it. Can you imagine the look on McGonagall's face if we were late?" The cat jumps from the desk, transforming mid-jump into McGonagall. McGonagall looks sternly at them. Ron said, "That was bloody brilliant!" McGonagall said, "Well, Thank you for that assessment, Mr, Weasley. Perhaps it would be more useful if I were to transfigure Mr. Snape and yourself into a pocket watch. That way, one of you might be on time." Harry said meekly, "We got lost." McGonagall said, "Then perhaps a map. I trust you don't need one to find your seats." McGonagall walks back to her desk as they sit down and get to work.

After Transfiguration was Potions with Professor Snape. Harry was looking forward to this class. They head down to the dungeons with the rest of the Gryffindors. The door was open so they enter the classroom, shutting the door behind them. They found the Slytherins in their seats already. Harry and Ron sat in the back with the other Gryffindors. Hermione sat next to them and pulls out her book. Harry whispers to Ron, "Potions with Slytherin, great!" Ron whispers back, "Let's see if what my brothers said about Snape is true." Harry nods and waits for Snape to arrive, while the students talked quietly amongst themselves. Suddenly the door bangs open as Snape marches into the classroom. He said, "There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class." Snape turns on his heel to face them. He spots Neville Longbottom, who was shaking and looking scared. He would have to keep an eye on him, to make sure he didn't blow up his classroom. He said, "As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion making." Snape crosses his arms as he starts his speech, "However, for those select few that possess the predisposition... I can tell you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even put a stopper in death." He looks at all his students, who were all watching him, all except Harry. From where he stood, he could see Harry writing every word he said. The boy was taking notes. It was very clever of him to do that, but he will have to get the boy's attention though. He couldn't wait to bombard the boy with questions, to see if he still remembers what he read in those textbooks of his. Snape looks at Harry and said, "Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough...." Snape raises his voice, "To not pay attention." Hermione elbows Harry and motions him to look forward. Harry looks forward to see Snape staring right at him. Harry puts his quill down and looks at Snape. Snape said, "Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Hermione's hand immediately went up. Snape ignores her as he looks at Harry. Harry eyes lit up slightly, he knew this one!! Harry said, "A sleep potion so powerful that it's called the Draught of Living Death, sir." Snape raises an eyebrow, feeling impressed with Harry. On to the next question. Snape said, "Where would you look, if I ask you to find me a Bezoar?" Harry smiles slightly, he knew this one too. Hermione was waving her hand frantically now. He said, "In the stomach of a goat, sir. The bezoar can save you from most poisons but not all." Snape smirks, the boy had prepared himself well. Malfoy had an expression of shock on his face as he watches on. Hermione was nearly out of her seat now. Now to the final question. Snape said, "And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?" Harry couldn't help smiling as he said, "They are the same plant, sir. They also go by another name, aconite." Snape's eyes glitter as he smirks, "Perhaps I misjudged you, for you answered my questions correctly. Although I hardly, if any, award points to Gryffindor. I will make an exception.... for this." Snape continues, "10 points to Gryffindor." The Gryffindors gasps at what they just heard. Ron was looking at Snape open-mouth in total shock. The Slytherins look on in shock, as they knew, from what others have said, that he have never awarded points to Gryffindor. Snape finally gives Hermione his attention. He said, irritably, "Put your hand down you silly girl." Hermione puts her hand down, looking a bit put out. Snape smirks and said, "We will start this class by brewing the Boil Cure Potion. This potion is so easy to brew that even you first years should be able to do it." Snape continues, "This potion, as the title proclaims, cure boils. The directions are on the board." Snape pulls his wand out and waves it at the chalk board, making the directions appear on there. Snape said, "The ingredients are in the cupboard." He waves his wand over said cupboard and they spring open. Snape said, "You may begin."