Recovery (3)

"Where's Eoli? She said that we were supposed to meet here at ten o'clock after she dealt with the mechanic regarding the levitation platform." Teinova was perturbed; the canteen had long become vacant with only them to claim supper. Despite this, they were well-rested and cleaned as they waited to satiate their hunger.

"Well, she said that she'll most likely be late." Yoskoe had cuisine in three white bowls that rested on his left arm before serving them. Afterwards, he regressed behind the polished marble countertop and poured some of his own concoction for consumption.

The cooked rations were a twisted mixture of grey and brown, its slime-like consistency an added flaw.

Their reluctance meant a tried and true method would have to intervene: adanan—a game of luck and limbs.

Durin placed his spoon next to his bowl. "Let's play adanan to see who will have to taste it,"

"Why do we have to play this game again?" Zazavin moaned in anticipation of their lacklustre responses.

"Because neither of us wants to do it," Durin replied casually.

"It's not our fault you don't have arms or legs." Teinova shrugged.

His teammates heckled him over his natural condition. In retaliation, Zazavin's long, thick tongue whipped the rear of Teinova's skull into her bowl of rations—her only cushion against full-frontal contact with rigid steel.

"Gais it taits grate." Her voice scrambled in the rations. The exquisite flavours that now flowed in her mouth quelled her probable fury.

Zazavin doubted this, but once she pulled her head out and swallowed the rations, Teinova confirmed its quality.

With their fear dispelled, they chowed down.

Zazavin's lips made love to the air. "This is the best thing I've ever eaten!"

Yoskoe cracked a small smile. His hairless, tanned body glistened pleasure to words of affirmation towards his culinary pedigree.

He saw that the projected time was surpassed by fifteen minutes. To reduce concerns, he asked, "You want more food or what?"

"Of course!" Zazavin echoed the benevolent sentiments of homemade rural cuisine.

You all go need it. Ram out your stomachs.

Seeing Teinova's condition, he gave her a damp rag to wipe the rations from her face. Her eagerness to resume eating meant this was brief; the food had enamoured her.

* * *

You all from outer space?

Yes. We're from space.

How space? It real pretty? What other planets be like? You get to meet plenty lifeforms?

Come nah, I wanna ask questions too.

Yeah Yan, she have to stop stealing all the attention for herself.

Pogorie, a Ehfnii distracted by thoughts of hours past, had to bring herself to concentrate on her imaginary cockpit at the roof of the Elder Residence. What happened earlier with Flezno left her unfazed. The foreigners from space were still her idols.

Her body was a slanted block. There were tiny holes around her base—about eleven—where she could shoot and retract tubes. Each also had bendable sections and hooks.

From her vantage point, Yoskoe's canteen to Ragga's health centre and Eoli's parlour shop were on display. Each helped tell a tale, a tale of her meagre existence.