Farewell (4)

As bold morning light swept over Tallas, the trio looked to make their leave on the main road while adorned in Planetary Defence Force lilac and black. Eoli, Zaae, Brashlo, and of course, Pogorie, were there for the send-off.

"You remembered what we talked about last night?" Teinova brought Pogorie back to that moment.

"Mm mm." Stuck on her forehead was a pink bow.

"Will you always keep it in your heart?"

"Mmmmm mmmmm."

"Give me a touch, then."

Index finger and hook touched to establish a friendly bond.

"Can we join?" Durin asked Pogorie on behalf of him and Zazavin.

"Yeah. I don't mind." Elongated finger and tongue joined diagonally parallel to Teinova, further strengthening the connection made.

Zazavin turned to Eoli while keeping the connection and asked, "Where are the others from last night to send us off?"

"Modue still angry with you three, Yoskoe didn't feel to come, and I honestly don't know where Ragga be. Probably with her mate or picking flowers or something." The beings Eoli listed showed the contempt most of Tallas had for them.

"That's it?" Zazavin should've known better. Who would care for beings you barely knew?

"Yes. That's all."

She moved to Brashlo while still in sleepwear to inquire if the vehicle she tasked them to create was ready.

"It's done." He leaned his tanned, slender frame against the garage. "We swoop in and take what we can after a major battle a few months ago in the grasslands. That how we get a totalled Bayamesa Bayamo terrain vehicle engine. The hull is comprised of the remnants of a Fait L'Union tank. Also..."

Durin zoned out. His eyes went downwards and started muttering the arrangement of numbers at the upper left side of the uniform with a finger moving to each one. "1...88...0...8...2..."

With Brashlo enamoured in the explanation of the various scrap parts making up the vehicle, a quizzed Durin placed a question to him, "What are these numbers and lines? Never seen anything like this before."

"It's a Bar Code Identification Number to keep track of the soldiers they have and to see whether they alive or not."

Or not? Teinova held that statement for a few seconds. "They're from dead beings, aren't they?"

"Come nah, at least we clean the clothes in the electrostatic hygiene zone. We's vultures. It normal for any struggling village here."

"I'm surprised she got this uniform to fit me. I usually spray paint my clothes." Durin pinched his uniform. The feeling of cotton against his frame, or any cloth, was peculiar. He usually sprayed on himself a buttoned shirt and moderate-length pants, but actual clothes were on another level.

"That be Marama. She work quick to refit them uniform for you."

"What about the teleporting pistols and blasters the villagers had?" Zazavin inquired.

"Sorry, can't answer that. We does keep that kinda thing a secret."

Eoli pulled out three sticks from a sack with an opening laced with string. "Here is your energy hooks. You just have to apply pressure to the black handle."

Teinova adjusted her headscarf wrap and gripped the firm nano polymer handle with the name 'X12 Long-Range Energy Hook' branded upon it to shoot a mass of energy that swirled above.