Chapter 4: Desperate Times and Doubtful Measures

Amara throws her mini backpack to the ground. The crumpled body of Zala makes her ashamed of mindlessly rushing out of the cave. Dropping to one knee in front of the motionless girl, she searches for some sign of vitality. She finds none as the girl's body is limp. There is also a glossy look in her eyes. The woman holds her up in one arm, and rummages through her bag in the other.

"Please tell me there's more of the queen's nectar," pleads Earl.

Amara pulls out a five milliliter bottle. Its discovery is a good omen. She gently shakes the bottle hearing a little nectar sloshing around inside.

"Shoot. I can't find the spoon," says Amara as she flips her bag upside down. Contents of the bag spill all over the floor. Her diamond bracelet hits the ground and glimmers. Earl hears the distinct sound of the bracelet hitting the ground before noticing its shine.

"Where is it?" says Amara spreading the items across the ground. She takes one look at the lifeless girl. Desperation demands immediate action. Therefore, she jams the open end of the bottle into the girl's mouth tilting her head back.

Earl grabs the diamond bracelet and lifts it into the air for inspection.

"Please wake up," says Amara.

Slowly, color returns to Zala's cheeks. Her eyelids begin to flutter. Her arms move slightly. And, her breathing starts again. Amara pulls the girl into her chest squeezing her, while fighting back tears.

"That was the last of the nectar," says Amara.

The silence that responds bugs her. Somehow their current situation has gotten worse. She needs someone to devise a plan.

"Did you hear me?" asks Amara.

Earl intensely studies the diamond bracelet. He tries to make sense of how such a luxurious item ended up in his friend's bag. His fingers delicately slide against the diamonds.

"This was Gumbo's gift to Yoko. He planned to marry her didn't he?" asks Earl. His eyes remain fixated on the diamond bracelet.

"Yes. He gave me that diamond bracelet for safe-keeping. He planned to propose to Yoko as soon as we returned to the city and paid our debt" replies Amara.

"Why wouldn't he tell the rest of us about it? "

Amara wants to have patience with Earl, but his fascination with the diamond bracelet is inappropriate given their current circumstances. They must focus on Zala, whose life is in serious danger. Keeping the girl alive takes priority over the ambitions of a dead friend.

"Zala's alive" says Amara.

Earl continues to study the diamond bracelet. Events outside of the bracelet fail to break through his wall. Only the bracelet captivates him.

"Here," he says, handing the bracelet to her, "I'm guessing you just used the last of the queen's nectar, huh?"

Amara moves some of Zala's silver curls from her face and exhales. Her friend looks normal, but something seems distant about him. She swears that he was just under a trance.

"Zala belongs to the Hornet race. They can only survive a fixed number of hours without consuming the queen's nectar," starts Earl, "How long they can survive without it depends on their age. Older Hornets can go nearly 48 hours without the nectar, whereas younger Hornets, like Zala, demand a fix every 24 hours or so."

He continues, "They normally live close in colonies close to the queen because bottled nectar costs an arm and a leg to purchase. But that's simply our economic system. Supply and demand. The supply is as limited as possible: the queen. The demand is as strong as possible: survival."

Earl lowers his eyes as a hint of sadness infiltrates his voice, "It never made sense to me. Why make Hornets pay for something they need to survive? It isn't right. It's like making Humans pay for oxygen."

The sound of items being stuffed into a backpack interrupts him. Amara gathers the last of the items on the ground and zips up her bag. She tosses it around her arm and stands to her feet lifting Zala. Earl recognizes her sense of urgency and takes the girl from her. He cradles her weightless body in his arms

"I have no intention of backing out of my agreement with you. I'm completely willing to go back in search of Gumbo, but Zala takes first priority" says Amara.

"You know I agree with you," says Earl, "But do you know where we can find a shop that sells the queen's nectar in the middle of this mountain range?"

"We're going to have to start searching and keep hoping."

Earl nods, "We're on a 24 hour clock. That's how long we got to get more nectar before Zala goes into shock again."

"It's a longer trek back to the city, than it is exploring some of these outskirt villages near the border of Mao country," says Amara.

Earl smirks.

"I guess that means we're poised to kill two birds with one stone."

"Perhaps, since those villages and Gumbo are in the same direction" replies Amara, "Also, we shouldn't worry about paying off the debt immediately because our collectors already think we're dead."

"Then it's settled. Let's not procrastinate any longer," says Earl.

And so the two begin their expedition towards chance. They hope to find an outlet that supplies the queen's nectar in some village on the edge of Mao country. Yet, their chances are slim. The poorest, most overworked, and malnourished members of society reside in these outskirts. This is a land of poverty not possibility.

The capital of Mao country is a bustling area known as the Benevolent district. The district is a kingdom erected from the desert. A true castle built upon the sand. Instead of concrete streets or grass, sand covers the entire floor of the district.

Life is quaint in this desert world. Camels serve as the primary vehicle of transportation. The economy runs on hard factory labor that produces goods, which vendors sell on markets.

Citizens of Mao Country are not allowed to own bank accounts. The accumulation of liquid cash is a sin. All money must be spent at the end of the week or else the violator and every member of his or her household will be jailed and charged with conspiracy of rebellion.

The Benevolent district is organized in a series of rings. The first ring contains the palace of the dictator. The second ring contains government buildings and housing for government workers. The third ring contains the military and housing for the soldiers. The fourth ring contains the shopping markets and housing for the vendors. The fifth ring contains housing for the factory workers, who serve as the primary shoppers spending money in the markets. The sixth and final ring sits on the outside of the district and contains all of the factories that produce the goods that get shipped into the inner circles of the district.

Hence, wealth is concentrated in the center of the circle and labor is concentrated outside of the circle.

Most importantly, one man controls all of Mao country. 

He resides in the palace within the first ring of the Benevolent district living there alone. 

He starves and overworks his citizens. 

He controls the Crimson Brigade army that attacked Amara, Zala, and Earl, and killed Gumbo. 

He is the author of the Sanguine Pamphlet, a book that all of his citizens must read and memorize. 

He rules his country with a campaign of fear.

And...

His name is Dictator Beneficence.