Chapter 39 (1/2): Commiseration for the Weary

The numerous questions forming inside of Zala's head counter the empty room Horatio leads her and the others into. The office room is larger than the first office they stumbled upon; however, the room lacks the vestiges of residency. There are no coats on the hook attached to the door, no photos of precious family members, or even crumbs that indicate last week's lunch. Gray curtains cover a large rectangular window and block the blast of sunlight from outdoors. The cry of the wind is audible inside of the office.

Zala's large eyes desperately search for some trace of Horatio's personality, then she notices a red object tucked inside the bottom cabinet of the desk.

The sanguine pamphlet.

"Granny said that you used to spend entire days just reading. So why is there only one book in your office?" asks Zala.

Horatio reacts as if Zala's question was indistinguishable from the whistle of the wind during a spring afternoon. He slowly moves to his red roller chair and pulls it out from behind the desk. The chair's wheels squeak slightly as Horatio sinks into the seat and folds his hands together over the desk.

Earl and Gumbo glance around the room. They are indifferent to this meeting with Horatio. While Earl remembers the agreement between him, Zala, Amara, and the Apothecary, the event feels so ancient that he struggles to wrap his mind around its importance.

As Zala pulls out the chair on the opposite end of Horatio's desk, Earl continues his pondering. He wonders what happened between Zala and the Apothecary during his absence. He wonders why Zala is so adamant about meeting this man.

"Let's be brief, alright? It's imperative that I return to my work" says Horatio.

Zala frowns,

"Are you going to answer?" Zala reaches for the sanguine pamphlet inside of the lower cabinet and plops it on the table.

"Your office is so empty. It's almost like it's not really yours" continues Zala pushing the pamphlet over to Horatio, "I have my own by the way."

Zala reaches into her messenger bag and unveils her sanguine pamphlet.

"I'm not understanding what you want. You are correct. I am the Apothecary's grandson. Now what does that matter to you?" asks Horatio.

"Your bedroom looks so much different from your office, Horatio. I stayed there when I was with Granny. There were literally mountains of books!" says Zala lifting her arms into the air to emphasize the hugeness.

"But you only have one book in your office. And you must have been here for years now because you left Granny so long ago" Zala flips through some pages, "I guess you were so busy working to change this country that you didn't have any time left over to read anymore."

Horatio's eyebrows bump into his hairline. He bites his lips and clenches his hands together tighter. He looks at Zala for a second, then Earl, then Horatio, and back to Zala.

"So, she sent you here to mock me?" says Horatio as the end of his sentence breaks into a laugh.

He grabs the sanguine pamphlet and softly chuckles,

"That old bat. Is this what she wanted? One last I told you so before biting the dust? Well, let me tell you the truth. Evil people rule the world and morons try to change it" snaps Horatio.

"You're wrong" says Zala.

"And how would you know? How long have you lived in this country? That book in your hands, how many times have you read it? Not as many times as me!" shouts Horatio.

Zala places the book flat against the table and stares into Horatio's tired eyes. Large dark bags hang underneath his eyelids and a pinkish tint colors his eyes. Behind her, Gumbo and Earl patiently wait for her response.