Chapter 37: Grandmother's Grandchild (2/3)

PART IV

Tiff closes in on the murderous proto-type in front of her. Anger and grief mix into a composite emotion so overwhelming that it blinds her. She can only see red.

The proto-type stops shooting and curls one of its massive arms over its shoulder.

As Tiff moves into striking distance, she also moves into the path of the proto-type's attack. The proto-type sends a backhand at Tiff with enough force to crush her body. But the attack never lands.

Orlando steps in front of the attack and holds up his arms in a feeble attempt to defend himself against the blow. The sounds of bones dislodging themselves from their proper joints ring into the air. Orlando howls in pain and his body flies fifteen feet through the air.

Thanks to Orlando, however, Tiff manages to successfully make her move. She drops her gun and somersaults towards Scarlet. In one fluid motion, Tiff scoops her broken bird into her hands and rolls underneath the arm of the proto-type.

Now behind the proto-type, Tiff lowers her head and releases a flood of tears. She knows that this is the time for battle not mourning, but she is helpless against the wave of emotions washing over her. She blames herself. She sent Scarlet to scout a path through the labyrinth, and she inadvertently led her pet to her grave. Tiff wonders if she should die too. That would make things even.

While Tiff contemplates, the proto-type uncoils its tail and slashes at Tiff's neck.

Clang!

Twister intercepts the knife end of the proto-type's tail with his steel blade. The red bird feather emblem welded into the steel of the blade flashes upwards. Twister grits his teeth and studies the facial-feature-less smooth black face of the proto-type. Its red eyes peer back at Twister, who finally gets a close look at this foe. His mouth is as dry as the sand beneath him, but he speaks,

"Tiff, go... you need to get out of here."

She doesn't move. Tiff fixates on Scarlet and lightly brushes the feathers over her head. The ailment known as apathy infects Tiff. She has given up. She accepts the end.

"Come on, we'll help you up," says Amara linking her arms underneath Tiff's, "Twister can't hold that thing off forever."

"Do you think this is what Scarlet would have wanted?" asks Byrd as she hooks her arms underneath Tiff's other arm.

This question snaps Tiff out of her daze and cures her apathy. She slowly makes her way onto her feet with Scarlet held against her chest. Blinking hard, she sheds two fat tears,

"No. Scarlet would want me to go on," Tiff curses under her breath and scowls, "Scarlet would want me to survive!"

"Good" says Byrd unhooking her arm from Tiff's, "Amara, get her away from here."

Amara nods her head and runs towards the arena's exit with Tiff beside her. The proto-type pushes Twister back, but before it can counter strike, Byrd slashes at the tail from the side. Twister recovers and follows up Byrd's strike with a slash of his own at the arm of the proto-type.

"I don't think our blades can cut through this thing," says Byrd.

"Icarus made our swords, remember?" replies Twister, "He's the greatest armorer this country has ever known. You have to believe in our weapons. You have to believe in our twin blades!" shouts Twister.

The proto-type spins around and smacks its arm against Byrd, which knocks her into the air. She crashes into the sand several feet away and curls to her side. Her grip is still on her blade.