Chapter 28: Hoping for No News

The amber rays of the setting sun coats the dilapidated houses of the fifth ring of the Benevolent district with a temporary glow. Children in rags race across the sand filled streets kicking soccer balls and hiding inside of abandoned homes. The fast-approaching weekend is responsible for the jovial nature of the residents. After a long week of toiling, they can finally take pleasure in indolence. But, everyone does not plan to spend the weekend getting drunk off over-priced entertainment. Some plan to work—even on their supposed "off day."

The Freedom Flyer sits conspicuously outside of a capacious apartment complex. Rust, cracks, and signs of oxidation dress the locomotive. Two Nationalist squeeze sponges and lather up the sides of the contraption. One member delicately washes the residue left on the red bird feather icon painted on the locomotive. Fat blobs of soap run down the Freedom Flyer and splash onto the grainy sand below it.

Inside of the apartment complex, Nationalist members gather around the foyer. There are about eighty Nationalist packing the dimly candle-lit room. Bandages cloak some members, while others balance themselves on long sticks or poles serving as make-shift crutches. Their red bird feather tattoos unify them. The tattoos cover different places on their bodies; some have tattoos on their necks, others on their backs, and some have the tattoo on their faces.

Twister hobbles into the center of the foyer. His gray shirt is a size too big, which exposes the plethora of bandages wrapped around his burned back. Beside him hops Byrd on her good leg, while she tries to keep pressure off her bullet grazed leg. Byrd leans against her brother's shoulder. She decides to use him as her crutch and save a spare stick or pole for a member, who needs it more.

Hands come together as a booming applause causes the room to tremor. The crowd cheers, whistles, stomps, and smiles at the two siblings. The children of their co-founder have done the unthinkable—they have led the Nationalist to victory.

Twister holds up his hand and the crowd silences. He smiles at his little sister and returns his gaze to the crowd. Twister wets his lips and speaks,

"The Crimson Brigade is no more! They have been defeated by us, the Nationalist Party!"

Once more, the crowd erupts into a thunderous applause. As Twister scans the crowd, he sees members breakdown in tears, members nod their heads, and members pat their red bird feather tattoos. Then a chant begins,

"Sing! Sing! Sing!"

Byrd blushes and points to herself,

"Everyone please..."

Byrd wants to refuse, but the crowd insists. So, she squeezes her brother's arm to steady herself, and takes in a large breath. The members see that she's about to give in to their demands and quiet down.

Amara has a bird's eye view of the crowd from atop the staircase of the second floor. While she would like to immerse herself within the crowd, she feels that her current mood would damper the positive energy circulating throughout the room. The Nationalist won, and she is a member, so she should be happy. Yet, Amara is not. Her mind begins to wander, but a celestial voice pulls her focus back to the room. Amara leans over the railing as Byrd's soprano voice, rivaling the sweetness of an Asian Koel's voice, pinches her ear lobe and fills her ear canal with song.

"Wings spread wide, clouds underneath, I am heading for freedom

I had the wind behind my back, with the blue sky leading me

I had to reach the land of my dreams before reality could defeat me

Paradise was in my sights and I won't look away" sings Byrd.