Chapter 47: From Amigos to Gods (3/3)

Solid rock hugs the girl's body as tight as skin. Every movement from the unbending of her knee to the raising of her neck is accompanied by the rumble of rubbing stones. Alert ears listen to each sound the golem's body produces. Those ears desire a noise reminiscent of Zala. Those ears desire a sign that she is alive.

"Zala?" asks Amara. Tears and sand combine to mask sections of her face in a golden mud. She keeps a hand on the ankle of the rising golem. The rock pulsates with heat.

A rainfall of pebbles cascade down the left side of Zala's face creating shallow holes in the sand. The soft skin of a young girl is exposed underneath the rock. Seconds later, the right side follows, and the mask of rock is no more.

Zala takes her time scanning the arena. She observes Gumbo clinging to the diamond bracelet with eyes trained on her. She observes Earl sitting up with stretched eyes and an ajar mouth. She observes the Hybrid stirring like an animal unable to discern predator from prey. Lastly, she observes Amara.

She lowers her eyes on the woman who has sacrificed everything to protect her. For so long, Amara has been everyone's rock. The one they could depend on to be resolute and grounded. Situations never influenced her to act impulsively or irresponsibly. But things change.

The impenetrable mask of equanimity Amara has always used to shield herself from the contagion of panic is shattered. Zala finally sees the true face that has been concealed this entire time. A face wrinkled, weathered, and withered by despondence, despair, and death.

But things change.

As the rock mask materializes over the young girl's face once more, she makes a promise to herself. She promises to take over Amara's role as the one who suffers in silence. It is time for her friend to experience the freedom of an unfettered heart. It is time for her friend to breath in all that the world exhales. The contagions and the oxygen.

It is time for Zala to become her rock.

"No more," says Zala glaring at the Hybrid and moving beyond Amara's grip, "You're not going to hurt anymore people!"

Responding with actions instead of words, the Hybrid swings its bladed tail at the golem. The tail approaches her from a sideways arc slicing away at the air that impedes its path. The girl never takes her eye off of the Hybrid.

Moving at a speed incomprehensible to the Human, Hornet, or Viper eye, Zala lifts her left arm into the air and smacks the tail away.

The impact creates an enormous blast of sound that rings everyone's ears. The tail tears off of the Hybrid and soars through the air until it crashes into the wall of the arena. Dust clouds kick up around the wall hiding the ineffective weapon from embarrassment.

Dictator Beneficence roars in pain. Behind him, sparks, blood, and whipping circuits replace his bladed tail. Toxic fumes and smells add to the wretched stench of the arena.

Wasting little time, the gun-barrel arms of the Hybrid aim at the golem.

"I... will... not... be... defeated..." says Dictator Beneficence before unloading a 400-round drum.

Sonorous pops and blinding light explode out of the two-gun barrels. The fire power is so intense that the momentum pushes the Hybrid's feet into a small sandy ditch. A never-ending succession of bullets pelt Zala's earth armor.

Pieces of stone chip and fall to the ground, but the armor endures. Black smoke rises from the golem as it absorbs the shockwaves of hundreds of bullets. The rock armor fortifies itself after each bullet digs deeper into its defenses.

The gun-barrel arms refuse to empty any more bullets as it emits various loud clicks. Shell casings flood the ground around the Hybrid's scorpion legs. Lines of sweat drip down the chin of the Dictator's upturned face.