Chapter 41: The Prisoner's Grave

Light itself abandons the trio as they descend the winding staircase. Each step brings them closer to the possibility of locating Amara, but also away from the security of knowing that Byrd and Twister are safe. A wall of darkness greets Zala, Earl, and Gumbo once they reach the final crystal step.

"Think you can give us a little light, Gumbo" asks Earl.

A white orb of light emerges in the center of Gumbo's hand and illuminates the dark. All previously shrouded by darkness is now visible. Large walls made of cobblestone form the outer perimeter of this new setting. There are unlit torch lights hanging on the walls covered in spider webs and dust. Also, the odor of death and despair linger in the air.

Zala pinches her nose and follows behind her two friends,

"This must be the underground prison Amara's friend was talking about," says Zala in a nasally voice, "We need to find Amara before we lose our sense of smell."

Earl rubs his hand against the cobblestone wall, "This must be the entrance because I've never heard of a prison without cells."

Before the three proceed any further, a massive tremor rattles the ground.

"Hold on!" yells Earl crouching down with Zala in his arms.

Gumbo leans flat against a wall and watches a series of cracks rip through the ceiling. Pieces of rock crash to the ground. The earthquake makes the ground so unstable that Gumbo lowers himself to the floor. The sound of a distant explosion rings in the air.

The seismic wave slows to a stop after several long seconds. Carefully, they rise and survey the slight damage around them. While they are untouched, the ceiling appears seconds away from caving out entirely as it resembles a jigsaw puzzle.

Zala can't help but look back towards the staircase, "That sounded like an explosion. Do you think those two are alright? Should we go back—"

"—That's not an option right now" says Earl pointing up, "We need to keep moving before this prison becomes our coffin."

Earl gives Gumbo a brotherly pat on the shoulder before progressing. The two continue forward as Zala remains focused on what's behind her. Her lip quivers as she thinks of the worst possible outcomes.

"Zala! Hurry up!" calls Earl from further away.

"Okay!" replies Zala.

Before leaving, she folds her hands together and lowers her head, "Please be okay."

Gumbo leads the way with his orb of pure light. As they travel deeper inside of the prison, the pungent smells become more unbearable. They also begin to hear sounds of life. Squeaking rats racing through the prison, the banging of shackles and chains against cages, and the wailing of prisoners. A cacophony of misery.

"Now this place is starting to look like a prison" says Earl as the group encounters a long hall with cells lining up the left and right walls.

Zala keeps close to Earl, but she can't help her wandering eyes. She sees young-adults with red bird feather tattoos on their necks, rotund people with full bellies and empty eyes, older folks with gray nose hairs, and menacing men with scars and burns on their faces. The prisoners are a diverse group.

"This prison is huge!" says Earl staring down the endless hall in front of him, "How many people can one man imprison?"

"How come some people are in chains and others aren't?" asks Zala looking at one chained man behind a cell with bulging muscles on his arms.

"No clue," says Earl.

They walk for a while before Earl bumps into Gumbo's back.

"This is the end" says Gumbo holding his ball of light high.