Chapter 13: Nationalist Politics

PART II

Amara holds a pair of clippers in her hands. She hesitantly looks over the long strands of black hair that flow down Byrd's shoulders. Finally, she grabs a handful of hair and parts the blades of the clippers.

"Are you sure you want me to do this?" says Amara.

Byrd rolls her eyes at Amara's reflection in the mirror of the chifferobe. The two are in Byrd's bedroom.

"For the last time, Amara. Chop it all off."

"But, it's so long. It'll take years to get it close to this length again" warns Amara.

Byrd reaches for Amara's hand, but Amara pulls away with a smile.

"Okay. Just know I tried to warn you."

***

Amara sweeps the last of Byrd's black hair into a dustpan. Meanwhile, Byrd runs her hands through her smooth and freshly shaven scalp.

"I look great!" she says.

Byrd waits for Amara's approval and then pouts.

"I didn't have a choice. Mr. Peace is going to have the entire Crimson Brigade looking for me. I need to keep a low profile" says Byrd.

Byrd stands and touches the chifferobe mirror with an open palm.

"Cutting my hair low just makes too much sense" she finishes.

Amara takes a seat on the end of the bed with her backpack in her lap. Byrd observes her through the mirror.

"You should just join the Nationalist party. We're your best bet at getting in touch with Horatio. Besides, it'd be nice to have you around longer" says Byrd.

"I have to get back to Zala. I've kept her waiting long enough."

Byrd sighs and faces Amara. It has been a week since Byrd first discovered Amara outside the silk factory. And since then, Amara has been staying with her and Twister.

"You're lucky to be alive. Why would you think you could just travel that deep into the Benevolent district all on your own? Well, I don't want you to think you have to do things on your own. I want to help you. We all do" says Byrd.

Amara looks into Byrd's eyes, and then focuses on the red bird feather tattoo on the front of her left shoulder. Without a second thought, Amara digs into her bag and retrieves the dagger given to her by Granny. Amara studies the blade and places a finger on the red bird feather symbol printed onto the blade.

"Those tattoos? What do they mean?" asks Amara.

A surge of shock paralyzes Byrd for an instant, but then she recovers. Byrd takes the dagger from Amara and studies it.

"This is one of Icarus' hand-crafted weapons" says Byrd. "Where did you find it?"

"An Apothecary near the outskirts of the capital handed it to me" replies Amara.

Twister sneaks behind Byrd and swipes the dagger out of her hand.

"You shouldn't be playing with weapons baby sister" teases Twister.

Byrd places him in a headlock, while Twister holds the dagger away from her. Amara watches the tussle and emits an awkward sound between a sigh and a laugh.

"Take a look," says Byrd releasing him. "Icarus made it."

"You're right. I know his work anywhere" says Twister.

"Who is Icarus? And you still never answered my question about your tattoos" says Amara.

Twister leans against the chifferobe and tilts his head up. Byrd takes a seat beside Amara.

"Icarus was one of the founding members of the Nationalist Party. As you know by now, the Nationalist are a secret organization of vigilantes that aim to end Dictator's Beneficence's rule of Mao country. Icarus was known for his skills as a craftsman and a visionary. He single-handedly manufactured over a thousand weapons for the Nationalist ranging from daggers to rifles" says Twister.

Byrd lowers her shoulder and points to her tattoo.

"The tattoos were Icarus and Dad's idea of getting members to prove their loyalty. Obviously, the feather symbolizes freedom. A freedom citizens of Mao country will experience, when we finally overthrow that Dictator!" says Byrd.

"Wow... wait, you said Dad?" asks Amara.

"Yup. Our father was one of the founding members along with Icarus" says Twister.

Twister hands the dagger back to Amara.

"What happened to them?" asks Amara taking the dagger in her hands.

"Well, Icarus died. And our dad," Twister struggles to find the right words.

Both Twister and Byrd avert their eyes and take a long pause. Amara packs the dagger away and drops her hand on Byrd's shoulder.

"You don't have to tell me. It's fine" she says.

Twister gives Amara a quick smile and then puts on a more serious expression. Looking at Byrd he adjusts the scarf around his neck.

"I came here to tell you that it's time we return to the northern base. Members believe their still might be salvageable items inside" says Twister.

"We're not going now are we?" asks Byrd.

"No, but we plan to make the trip soon. Amara, the northern base was recently raided by the Crimson Brigade. It was an ambush that resulted in the death of Icarus" says Twister.

Amara stares at Twister in disbelief. While it's sketchy, she vaguely remembers sneaking into a base with Gumbo in search of the pills. She wonders if this is the same base Twister is referring to?

Additionally, Amara has yet to tell Twister and Byrd about the pills in her backpack. She wants to trust the both of them, but what if they know more about the pills than her? Amara is aware of the pills' ability to revive people from the dead, so what if they decide to use the pills on Icarus?

Despite feeling guilty about keeping secrets. Amara decides to leave Twister and Byrd in the dark. She convinces herself that when the right time comes, she'll shed some light.

"Amara?" says Byrd, now standing and shaking Amara.

"Oh. Sorry, I was thinking about something" says Amara.

"Seriously consider the offer" says Byrd heading towards the door.

"You would make a great Nationalist. Not too many people have the resolve to attempt walking to the second ring" says Twister with a smile.

Byrd nods her head and watches the two disappear down the hall. Amara sticks her hand into her backpack and pulls out the capsule. She holds it up to her face and frowns.

***
Jayce rides the back of a camel through a vehement desert sandstorm. Behind him are nearly fifty Crimson Brigade soldiers mounting camels too. He turns to the soldier riding beside him.

"I want you to send a message back to the military headquarters. Request that I need all Crimson Brigade soldiers to report to the Nationalist hideout we recently raided" says Jayce.

"All soldiers?" asks the soldier raising an eyebrow.

"Yes. Every single one, and make sure they bring as much firepower as they can" replies Jayce.

"Yes sir!" says the soldier. He pulls the reigns of his camel and veers to the right.

Jayce's eyes ossify as he looks out at the boundless sea of sand in the distance. He thinks of his grandmother and snarls.

"Grandmother. How real were those stories you used to tell me? I wonder just how much of a myth the legend of creation really is?" he mumbles.