Chapter 38 (1/2): Icarus vs. Daedalus, The Final Showdown! (3/3)

Twister blinks his eyes. There is no sand in them, but that's not why he's blinking. He needs to make sure that he is alive. That he is not dreaming. That escaping certain death actually happened.

"This thing," says Toure pointing at the proto-type with Twister's blade, "this thing must be the dictator's newest toy."

Twister pulls his body into a sitting position and stares at his sword held in Toure's grasp. This feels like an out of body experience to him. He almost feels like a ghost.

Toure looks down at Twister and snarls,

"Listen, count your lucky stars and pray to your Human god later. There's a fight going on!"

Toure's harsh words snap Twister out of his trance. Twister quickly looks over at his sister, who is badly injured. Blood runs down her forehead and she winces in pain. Still, Byrd looks over at Twister with a smile and raises her sword into the air.

She is still holding her sword. The same cannot be said for Twister. He sighs in frustration.

"Why?" mumbles Twister.

Toure groans,

"This is why I don't work with the Human race. You all are so conceited. I just saved your life and you want an explanation of why I felt you were worthy of rescuing? Get over yourself, kid."

"I'm not a kid!" shouts Twister. A sharp pain emerges from the back of his neck causing him to grimace, "I'm the leader of the Nationalist."

"Then act like it" says Toure turning to the proto-type.

The blue-eyed proto-type pops its head out of the sand, while the rest of its body is submerged. It quickly scans Toure with a blue light and then dips its head back under the ground.

A red scanner light flashes from the other proto-type and moves towards Toure. He stands his ground and allows the bright light to swipe through his body. Toure's eyebrows angle downward.

"Good luck collecting information on me. I work for the black markets. There isn't a paper trail I haven't already burnt to ashes" says Toure.

Twister struggles to his feet and eyes Toure,

"Black markets? You must be an assassin or something."

"Don't tell me you and that thing are on the same side?" teases Toure.

Twister shakes his head. He is still unsatisfied with Toure's explanation. He needs to know why he got himself involved. Why did he willingly decide to interrupt this fight? Who is he working for?

"Why not just watch us die? What are you even doing here? Who hired you?" asks Twister.

"As of now, I work for myself" answers Toure walking towards the proto-type, "You guys are against the dictator correct? If so, then we have a common enemy. You want to remove him from power and I need to get my hands on something before he does."

Toure hurls the blade straight into the air,

"That's all the reason I need to preserve your pathetic life."

Toure's words slap Twister in the face.

"Can this blade cut?" asks Toure.

"I managed a three-inch deep strike. The sword works" says Twister.

The blade momentarily falls to the ground, but before it hits the ground, Toure's tail snaps it up.

"Good" says Toure.

Toure lowers his head and charges at the proto-type. His body is visible for a second, before disappearing due to his great speed. The proto-type positions its gun-barrels in Toure's direction and waits to attack.