IV

The dinner bell rang and the Hargreeves children walked into the dining room in their number order. They stood behind their assigned spot awaiting their father. Sir Reginald appeared and stood at the head of the table. Vanya and Katrine were at the opposite end. Allison was sitting to the left of their father, Klaus and Ben to her left. On their father's right were Luther, Diego, and Five. Sir Reginald looked at his children and told them simply, "Sit."

The children sat and started eating. Katrine immediately put up a fight. She didn't like broccoli.

Sir Reginald glared at the young girl. "Number Eight, eat your dinner. I want to hear no protests from you."

She glared at her father and Grace gave the young girl carrots, knowing she liked them. He would never reveal it, but Sir Reginald was relieved. He didn't feel like arguing with the youngest girl.

Katrine frowned as Five stabbed a knife into the table and pulled his hand away while he glared at their father.

"Number Five?" Hargreeves asked.

Five took on his usual sarcastic tone. "I have a question."

"Knowledge is an admiral goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."

As Katrine ate, she kicked her legs under the table. She knew where Five was going with this, but she wanted to see her father's reaction.

"I want to time-travel." Five stated.

"No." Sir Reginald replied.

Five narrowed his eyes. "But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said." He stood up and spatial jumped to their father's chair. "See?"

By this point, Katrine was the only one actively paying attention to the conversation. Hargreeves turned to Five. "A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time-travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and appearing as an acorn."

Five's eyes narrowed further. "Well, I don't get it."

"Hence the reason you're not ready." Hargreeves answered as he lifted his glass into the air.

"I'm not afraid."

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable."

Katrine started picking at her food, not liking where this conversation was headed.

"Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore." Hargreeves said harshly. Five glared and turned away before walking off. "Number Five. You haven't been excused!"

Katrine jumped up and ran up to her brother. She gripped his shirt and said softly, "Please don't go."

Five looked down at her. "I'm sorry, Kat. I have to. I'll come back. I promise. Okay?"

She nodded. "Okay. Come back soon, though."

Katrine didn't realize how long it would be until her brother's promise would be kept. He wouldn't return until nearly 17 years later.

End of Flashback

Katrine groaned as she got a call to investigate a shootout at Griddy's Donuts. Shootouts were fun to investigate, especially with Patch, but she wasn't in the mood. Oh, well. You do what you must.

When she got there, Patch was waiting for her. Together, they walked inside. Patch looked around. "This is a once in a blue moon type of situation I'd say."