VIII

Diego ran into the boxing club and down to his room where Five and Luther were. He zoned in on Five. "Piece of shit." He stalked towards the bed and attempted to lunge at Five, but was stopped by Luther. "Do you have any idea what you just did?!" Luther kept a tight grip on him. "No! Get your ape hands off of me!"

"I can do this as long as it takes you to calm down." Luther replied calmly.

"Fine." Diego huffed.

Luther let him go. "Now; wanna tell us what you're talking about?"

Diego narrowed his eyes at Five. "Our brother's been pretty busy since he got back. He was in the middle of that shootout at Griddy's, and then at Gimble Brothers after the masks attacked the academy looking for him."

"None of which is any of your concern." Five answered.

"It is now." Diego replied. "They almost killed my friend. And--"

Luther frowned. "And what?"

Diego glanced to Five, urging him to continue. He was glad only Katrine could read minds. "They work for my former employer. A woman called the Handler. She sent them to stop me. Then, as soon as Diego's friend got in the way, well, fair game."

Diego narrowed his eyes. "Yeah, well, don't start singing just yet. My friend survived because someone took the bullet for her. Does that sound like someone we know? Perhaps a missing sister?"

Five's eyes widened as he realized who Diego was talking about. "Katrine! Is she okay? Where is she?!"

"Oh; now you care. So Katrine is fair game, huh?"

"I didn't mean that. Diego, is she okay?"

Diego turned away. "She's at the house. I don't know. Last time I checked, it was touch and go."

Five looked down in shame. He realized if Katrine died, it would be before the apocalypse. That would explain why he hadn't seen her body outside the destroyed Academy.

✫--✫   

Katrine's eyes opened and she sat up, mentally cursing herself for what she'd done. Her hand drifted to her chest and she winced as she touched it gently.

Grace walked up to her and smiled. "Oh, good. You're awake. How are you feeling, sweetheart?"

"Like I got shot." Katrine muttered sarcastically. "Has Diego been to see me? Or anyone else?"

Grace nodded. "Diego was here, but he left before you woke up."

"Good. Good. Oh! I have a shift."

Grace smiled. "Your friend, Detective Patch, offered to cover your shifts until you return. Get some rest, dear."

Katrine felt her eyes closing, and she was out before she knew it.

The next time she woke up, Five was next to her. "Good. You're awake. Have you seen Klaus?"

Katrine frowned. "Excuse me. Psychopaths who are after you shot me and that's all you have to say?"

Five winced. "Sorry. I'm glad you're okay. They'll pay. Trust me."

She stood up and nearly fell over. Five instantly placed a hand around her waist and supported her as they slowly made their way to the stairs. Five looked at her. "Are you okay to go upstairs?"

"Uh, yeah. I think so. I'm gonna need some help, though."

Five nodded and helped her up the stairs. The two of them made their way to Klaus's room and Five asked, "You okay?"