XIV

Diego helped Katrine stand up and made sure she was okay to stand on her own. The two of them ran through the house as they did their best to avoid the explosions and debris falling. They rounded a corner and ran into their siblings and Pogo.

"What the hell is going on?" Diego asked with a frown.

Pogo glanced at the ground. "Vanya. We need to get to safety outside the Academy."

Diego, Klaus, and Katrine made their way to the door as Luther yelled from behind, "Don't forget Mom!"

✫--✫

Vanya walked through the Academy halls; the place that seemed like home, but ultimately became her prison. Vanya opened the door to Klaus's room and saw Klaus and Ben. They looked up at her and Ben frowned at her. "To go on a mission, Vanya, you have to have a power."

Klaus remained silent and Vanya destroyed the room.

She opened Diego's door and saw a teenage version of him sitting on his bed. He glared at her. "Vanya! What do you want?"

Vanya stared at him and closed the door. As she walked away, an explosion destroyed the room.

She came upon Allison's room and opened the door. Sitting on the bed, with their backs to the door, were Allison and Luther. Their faces were close. They looked back, hearing the door open, and jumped apart and turned to face her. "Just get out!" Allison yelled as Luther stood up to shut the door in her face. Vanya turned away from the room and it exploded.

She came upon Katrine's room. The little girl was coloring in her superhero coloring book. She looked up to see Vanya and her eyes brightened. "Hi, Vonnie! I'm coloring Batman! Do you wanna come help me?"

Vanya struggled with herself a moment. She didn't want to destroy Katrine's room. Her little sister was the only one who had been nice to her, but the anger she felt was consuming her, and pushing down the love she felt for her little sister. Ultimately, the anger won, and the room was destroyed. Her heart broke as her little sister's small figure dissipated.

✫--✫

Diego, Klaus, and Katrine ran to the loveseat to see if Grace was there, but it was empty. "Mom!" Diego cried.

Another explosion rocked the house and the three of them continued to call for Grace. The ceiling started caving and rubble fell from it. The rubble hit Diego and he passed out. Katrine tried to duck from the falling rubble, but didn't get out in time. She fell to the ground and saw nothing but darkness.

Klaus let out an annoyed groan. He pushed Katrine out of the way first because she was obviously lighter. He tried to move Diego as well, but he couldn't. Diego was too heavy, and he couldn't get both of them out of the way in time.

Klaus looked up at the ceiling to see that it was cracking. He didn't have much time before it would completely cave.

Once again, he tried to move Diego out of the way, but he was still too heavy. If only Diego could wake up a little more.

The ceiling creaked, letting them know that it was close to falling. Diego was pulled and Klaus figured Ben had to be helping him. There was no other explanation. He glanced over at Katrine to see that she was still unconscious. He picked her up and noticed fear in Diego's eyes. "Klaus, is she--"

Klaus looked up at Diego. "No, she's unconscious."

Diego let out a relieved sigh as they continued running from the falling debris. Klaus kept repeating to himself, "Come on. Come on, come on."