Chapter 1 ~ Landing

Ash's Point of View

Click

   I looked at my camera to see how my shot had come out. I had just gotten off the plane to Albany and I had decided to document the moment by snapping a quick photo.

   The photo actually came out really nice. The good lighting and the many distinct people coursing through the busy building culminated for a really nice shot.

   This was basically my life as a photographer. Taking a picture of anything potentially interesting. I had a real knack for turning everyday things into a memorable shot. It was as much a hobby as it was a talent.

  My grandfather is who got me into photography. He had run his own photography business, though he also did it as a hobby too as he was even more gifted at the art than I am. He was a huge inspiration.

   When I was very young, around 7 or 8, my mother passed away in a freak car accident and I was forced to move in with my grandparents. It was really hard for me at first. The only thing I had at my disposal to take my mood off of it was my grandfather's old camera. I used to take photos around the neighborhood and show him. It calmed me in a way.

   I guess the whole camera thing really stuck with me. It was why I am at an airport. My grandfather went to the campus I was now going to be attending here in Albany. When I was looking around for colleges to go to this one caught his attention as he recalled they had a really good photography program there. The very one that taught him most of what he knew about it.

   At this point I'm very good at it but I certainly have room to become even better. Besides, it doesn't take much to convince me to go spend a year in New York. The thought of being just a thirty minute car ride away from New York City could make almost anyone giddy.

I went over and got my luggage and made my way out of the airport. I ended up calling an uber to take me to Shujin Academy, the place I would be studying at. It wasn't awfully far from the airport and the driver seemed to know exactly where it was as we were there in just 15 minutes. I tipped and thanked the driver before finally making my way onto the campus.

   Not entirely sure where to go, I stopped and asked an older looking student. "Excuse me. Do you know where the boys dorms are?" I asked.

   "The dorms here aren't separated actually. Boys and girls both stay in that big building over there." He said as he pointed out a tall building with lots of windows and a lot of students outside of it.

"Should've known." I laugh. "Thanks man." I said as he waved with a smile.

He was nice. I thought. I hope everyone here is like this.

I made my way over there and eventually found my way to room 212. I was a bit tired from carrying my luggage up the staircase to get to the room but it was fine. I still was very excited.

I knocked and after a few moments I heard somebody call out "I'll be there in a minute."

   I proceed to stand outside waiting. Tapping my fingers on the handle of the case. I did notice the voice sounded awfully high. This made me think back to what the guy I met earlier had told me.

Surely he just meant everyone stays in this building. I doubt he meant that boys and girls shared the same actual rooms.

I noticed the doorknob twisting open and just as I thought I was right, I was wrong.

Before me stood a girl with long locks of honey blonde hair. She wore a black pop band T shirt and denim shorts. She was only a few inches shorter than me, meaning she was probably about 5'7 or 5'8. She seemed to be happy as she had a big smile on at the moment.

She is genuinely very pretty. How the f am I going to live in the same room as her and not be a total idiot.

"Hello, who are you?" She asks softly, her voice sounding very nice to the ears.

YOU'RE KILLING ME

   "Oh sorry. I'm Ash Ketchum. I think I'm your roommate." I say nervously, looking at the door number to make sure I was at the right room. Room 212, I was.

"Oh great. I've been sitting here wondering why I've been alone all day. Here come in." She says as she opens the door for me, allowing me to come into our room.

At least she didn't freak out. I guess she's cool with it. Just act normal.

The room was a decent size for a college dorm but it still wasn't awfully large. It had two beds two desks two dressers, a TV in the corner and a bathroom. Standard stuff but it all looked nice.

I walked in and placed my bag on the bed that look untouched and sat down next to it looking back to the girl.

"Oh how rude of me. I didn't introduce myself. My name is Serena Yvonne. It's really nice to meet you Ash!" She says enthusiastically.

"Hehe no problem. Nice to meet you too." I say quickly checking the time on my phone and putting it back down. "How long have you been here?"

"Well I've been here since yesterday in the afternoon and it's lunch time now so probably about a day." She responds sitting across from me on her bed. "Speaking of lunch I'm a bit hungry. What about you?"

"I could eat." I respond honestly. She perks up hearing this.

"Well I made plans with a few friends I met yesterday to go grab something to eat. You're more than welcome to join me." She offers politely.

"That would actually be nice, yeah." I reply happily.

Somehow things aren't a disaster yet. Maybe this will be just fine. I thought to myself.