Chapter 2 ~ Introductions

Ash's Point of View

   "My phone says it should be really close." Serena says to me. We were walking to a nearby Italian place to meet up with a few of her friends.

   "Sounds good" I say as I look around. The nature in New York so far hasn't disappointed. "New York is so much prettier than Kansas" I say quietly, though Serena did hear me.

   "Oh you're from out of state?" Serena asks to which I nod. "Well what brings you here?" She follows up.

   "I'm actually studying photography. My grandfather insisted I take the course they have here as he took it ages ago. I don't always carry it on me but sometimes I'll just go out with my camera around my neck or in a backpack and look for anything picture worthy." I explain, hoping not to bore her. Thankfully she actually seemed a bit interested.

   "That's pretty cool actually. What do you do with the photos you take?" She asks, somehow seeming genuinely interested.

   "Well I have an Instagram page I post my pictures on and I also help my grandfather run a website. He used to use it for his company back when he used to do commissions but I mainly run it now. The main page is full of photos I take and I plan on adding to it a ton while I'm here." I answer, once again managing to interest her.

   "A photographer huh? I wonder if..." She mumbles. I wasn't quite sure if I heard her right.

   "What was that?" I ask.

   "Oh it's nothing." She replies before pointing ahead of us. "That's the place right over there."

"That was quick" I say, noting the mere 5 minute walk it took to get here. We made our way to the door and once we got to the place I made sure I let Serena go in front of me as my social anxiety wouldn't allow me to tall to new people alone.

We entered and saw a group of people our age sitting over in a corner who all noticed us immediately. I quickly counted about 6 people and shuddered at the amount of people looking my way.

"Hey guys." Serena greeted as she made her way to the table. I followed her and eventually just stood at the end of the table waiting for someone else to notice my existence.

"Who's your friend Serena?" A girl with dark blue hair asked, looking at me curiously.

"This is Ash, he's my roommate." She started, looking towards me to continue the introduction myself.

"Nice to meet you guys." I said simply, receiving friendly looks from everyone as Serena and I both sat down.

"Okay so Ash, this is Misty, Gary, May, Drew, Dawn and Barry." She says, pointing to each person as she said their names.

"Now that we're all acquainted, let's go order some food!" Barry exclaims, oddly enthusiastically.

"Keep your voice down hot head, we're in public." Gary says while standing up. "But yes I agree."

We all went up to order our food, most of us just getting pizza. Once we all sat down with our food we talked a lot about what people were here for or what they wanted to do. That type of stuff. I didn't participate a whole lot but I definitely did feel included which did make me pretty happy.

"So what are you into Ash?" May asks me, finally shifting everyone's attention my way. I took a moment to think about what to say before speaking up.

"Well I'm really into photography. That's one of the main reasons I'm here." I answer honestly. I received a bunch of intrigued looks from that.

"I can totally see that." Drew states as he leans forward a bit." I feel like the quieter smart ones always have the most unique outlooks on that type of art anyways."

"Some big words you used there Drew." Gary scoffed receiving a kick in the shin under the table. They laughed it off as I still took in the compliment.

"You must be dying to go to the city if you're into photography, aren't you?" Serena asks, making me nod profusely as I had food in my mouth. I swallowed the bite of pizza and spoke up.

"I've wanted to go my whole life."

"I've been there once but I'd love to go back as well." Serena responds, seeming to share an affinity with the infamous tourist location.

"Maybe we could all go there one day once we go on break." May suggests, to which we responded in overwhelming agreement.

   "That genuinely sounds like a fun idea." Dawn says approvingly. We all chattered about nonsense for another 5 or 10 minutes before we decided it was about time we all should  head back to campus.

   May and Dawn actually decided to come to our dorm, mostly just to hang out with Serena so I decided to just browse the internet on my computer and leave them be. A few pretty sunsets, beautiful oceans and cats wearing sombreros later I grew tired of instagram and before I knew it May and Dawn had left.

  "Well I guess college officially starts tomorrow." Serena says, seeming a bit surprised the day has already came.

"Life comes at you fast sometimes." I say, knowing better than anyone. "You just gotta be ready for it and do your best every day."

"You're not wrong." She replies as she lays back in her bed yawning. "I think I'm going to sleep now." She says defeatedly, seemingly melting into her bed and blanket. I notice her reaching over as far as she could to turn of the lamp between our beds, but not having much luck. Not wanting her to fall off her bed I moved over and turned it off for her.

"Thank you Ash. Good night." She says, causing me to decide to do same the same thing and get rest.

"No problem." I say yawning, slowly beginning to become sleepy.

   Probably best I get some sleep now. I have no idea what tomorrow has in store so I better make sure I'm ready. I think to myself as I begin to drift away.