Chapter 12

The world seemed to grow silent, a gasp being the only thing heard in the busy scene as the time around the three individuals seemed to slow. As soon as the woman placed her lips on Izaya's he pushed her away, but in the slowed atmosphere, it felt like a millennium to Takara.

Dropping the cotton candy, the girl turned on her heal, and the environment returned to its original state.

"Takara!" Izaya called after her, chasing her and knowing he would be able to catch up with the wedges she was wearing.

He soon grasped onto her shoulder, realizing she was shaking as tears fell from her hazel eyes. He turned her around to pull her in a secure embrace, only to be prevented from doing so. "Takara..." His voice became gentle.

"Two times, Izaya." Her pain was obvious in her choked voice.

"I know. I'm sorry." He took a strand of her brown hair between his long fingers.

She shrugged his hand away. "With the same girl..."

"I'm sorry, Takara. She approached -"

"You could've pushed her away before she kissed you! You could've done something to avoid it..."

"You know you're the only girl I care about." He reasoned.

"But do you really want to get married? Do you really want to spend the rest of your life with me?" She looked at him with vulnerable, watery eyes.

More sternly, Izaya placed both of his hands on Takara's shoulders, holding her in place. "Stop being stupid." He ordered.

"How am I being stupid?!"

"You're thinking crazy things!"

She narrowed her tear-filled hazel eyes. "You didn't answer my question."

"I love you, Takara. I want you -"

"Not 'me'; do you want to get married to me?"

He sighed deeply. "I want you to be by my side for the rest of my life and even after that."

"... as your wife?" Takara's voice trembled.

"Of course, eventually."

"Eventually? Izaya, do you want to get married, period?"

"Why are you saying these things? Stop questioning it." He was beginning to grow irritated, primarily with the fact that she wasn't understanding what he was trying to say. "You're not exactly easy love."

"What?" Her words felt caught in her throat. "Since when was this about being easy?"

"You know what I mean, Takara." He sighed again. "I've been chasing after you for thirteen years and you only bothered with me for the past year and a half."

She scoffed, taken aback by his sudden words that seemed irrelevant to their conversation, yet spoke of an underlying issue that neither of them was aware of... until then. "Don't act like this is my fault, Izaya. It's not like you were a golden child."

"You could've given me a chance." He retorted, showing a side to his personality that the girl had no idea existed. Normally, he would make a joke and shrug it off. But in the moment, he seemed truly angry.

"Are you not happy now?! I did finally give you a chance! I didn't just give you a chance, I stupidly fell in love with you!"

"Right now, in this moment? No, I'm not happy." He answered honestly. "You're being ridiculous."

"Says the damn brat that kissed a girl other than me twice." She huffed, escaping from his grasp on her shoulders.

"Damnit, Takara." He clicked his tongue in irritation.

"Go to Hell, Izaya." Takara pinched the diamond ring that adorned her left hand, sliding it off of her finger as tears burned in her eyes. "I don't know what you want from me. I sure as hell know I'm not an easy person to love, but you aren't either, and I never thought it was about that."

She clutched the ring in her palm, holding it out to the baffled young man as he slowly raised his hand. She dropped the cylindrical shape, the moonlight and lights of the pier shimmered off of the facets in the diamond.

The girl met Izaya's gaze one more time, showing him every emotion she was feeling in the moment as her cheeks were drenched with tears, her mascara surely messed up, and her hazel eyes bloodshot with all of the crying she had done, increasing with every sentence they exchanged.

"I never should have given the man who tried to rape me a chance."

In the lingering, intense silence, the brunette turned on her heel and left him, standing paralyzed on the wooden boards of the pier.

He looked at the ring in his hands, and suddenly, the entire situation became all too real. Tears began to fall from his own auburn eyes as he stared at the glimmering diamond that was once worn by the girl he undoubtedly loved.

Overwhelmed with a wave of fury at himself, he threw the ring onto the beach a decent distance away.

And then, once again facing reality, he cursed himself and ran onto the sand, removing his shoes and frantically searching through the sand.

-----------------------

Takara sobbed so ferociously that she could barely breathe, choking with every gasp of air. She felt ridiculous as she sat in the back of a taxi, crying her heart out. But the burden of losing her beloved shrouded that embarrassment.

She kept thinking, 'I hate him. I hate him more than anything. I hate him.' But her heart still screamed, 'I love him so much.'

She hated that she blew up with her emotions. She hated that she said such cruel words. She hated that she returned the ring, making her left hand feel remarkable bare. She hated that she brought up the past that they both had tried so desperately to forget.

The depressing thoughtsplagued her thoughts as she returned to the hotel and packed her belongings,retrieved her purse and passport, and made sure she had her plane ticket onhand.