hesitation

?:?? ??

?:?? ??

l.c.y.

The view is perfect from this side of the lake.

The only thing you can hear is the faint sound of running water and birds chirping in the distance. Maybe a rustle of leaves, or the buzz of an insect.

I smile as another gust of wind kisses my skin, causing my glasses to shift from their usual resting spot on my nose.

Wait.

Slowly, I bring a hand up to my face, eyes widening as my fingers stop right before they can reach my eyes. Something blocks them from going further.

Glasses? 

I haven't worn them in a while.

Switching to contacts was something that I decided to do once I became a trainee. It's been a few years since I've felt these round rimmed circle frames shielding my face.

Why do I have these on?

Peering out of curiosity, I wobble the last few steps downhill towards the edge of the lake, where the crystal-like water reflects the sky above.

A sharp intake of air fills my lungs as I stare at my reflection, the water rippling it and contorting my face.

I look different.

Younger than before.

Before I joined the company. Before I started training. This was back when I was in school full time.

With a sudden jerk, I reach for my hair.

It's . . . long

I rub the tangled strands between my fingers, gazing at the younger version of myself just on the surface of the water.