enigma

??:?? ??

??:?? ??

l.c.y.

"Before I woke up,"

The words leave me in shock as they continue to replay in my head.

So, if he's telling the truth. . .

if I'm not insane. . .

Then that means. . . he's a real person?

No. . . it's possible that I'm dreaming this up too; just dreaming up the fact that there's a boy sitting in front of me who claims he's dreaming too.

"You're telling me that you think you're dreaming?" I ask him, cautious as I try to word the sentence correctly. He's still glaring at me, and I can't tell why. I didn't do anything. . . did I? At least I don't remember. . .

"I'm not just telling you. I know I'm dreaming," he speaks, before looking away and shifting his body towards the trees instead. "And it's crazy to even think about it that way, because if I'm dreaming, then you're not real," He turns to look at me, but his tired eyes seem to see right past me. "I'm just waiting for myself to wake up,"

"But I'm real!" I exclaim, looking down at my hands and testing my fingers out. "I'm the one who's dreaming right now!"

He laughs, but it's not a friendly one; more like a scoff. The sound of his voice would have actually been quite musical if he hadn't added on after that, "So you're saying that we're in the same dream? That only happens in storybooks, you know," But even as he speaks, something catches in his voice.

I turn to look at him, still a little bit of fight left in me.

His round cheeks are turned away from me,  jet black hair and messy bowcut giving him a younger appearance. He must still be in school, around 17 or 18?

If he's telling the truth, he might as well just be a normal boy caught in this mess; Someone that I wouldn't notice if I walked past him.

Is that what he thinks about me too?

"If there's nothing I can do to convince you, and you can't convince me, then I guess we'll just have to wait this dream out and agree to disagree," I sigh, standing up and dusting off the grass and dirt on my clothes. I shift to a more pensive manner. "If I'm dreaming, that means this might be the last time we see each other,"

He glances up at me, suddenly looking confused.

"Goodbye Tony. I hope you have a nice life then," I say, before turning and walking away, fully aware that I might be stupidly bidding goodbye to an imaginary character.