1984: 12

"Where were you? You had me worried all night, I thought the worst of what would've happen to you. I was worried like a sick dog! Worried, just worried and mortified. So, where, were you?"

"I was busy, all right. I was held from work, all right. I wanted to call you, but I didn't want to bother you, you know. I thought you were asleep, I couldn't bother you as you are sleeping. You were asleep, and you needed your rest."

"Don't turn this around me, this, this is on you. I was so... worried, you know. I was all alone in this house, and for a moment, I thought you were dead or that you'd leave me for another girl, but much younger, younger than you and me. If you'd leave me, I just don't know what I'd do without you? I just- I don't know? Larry.... I love you. Do you love me? Do you?"

"Always, always, I'll always love you, sweetheart. You're my one and only, don't 'you' know that? You got to do right be me.."

"But, I've always done that! I've always did right by youuuuu... 'us against the world, us against the world' you said. And I don't know if I can believe you, you told me you love me so many times and I- I believed you, because you're my husband and I'm your wife and we are a team together. And then.. there are days when I don't feel the love from you... I don't get it out of you!"

"But I do love you, Olive. Honest."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah"

"Well, you don't touch me anymore like you used to. You don't hold me, or kiss me like you used to. If you're not getting it from me, then you must be getting from somebody else. Whose' it Larry? Who are you getting it from? I want to know, if you're honest, I want you to be honest with me. Tell me!"

"NOBODY, DAMN IT! YOU, ONLY YOU, LIKE I'VE ALWAYS SAID, JESUS!"

"If you're gonna speak to me like that, then you better hit me, hit me. If you can't love me, then hit me, push, toss me aside like a piece a trash that I am to you in your eyes, in your image."

"NO..."

"Oh no you won't: don't you dare strike me, ever! I'm not one of your whores from that job of yours, that you could strike me or push me... I'm a lady, I'm more of a lady you'd ever be, because you're not even a man. A man would love me, for me. And treat me what I'd ought to be, because a man would love me just the way I am. Not the way you see me in your eyes. I'm a woman, I'M A LADY!!!!.........
I'm goin to bed, you got me all flustered and angry. Don't forget to turn the lights off on your way to the couch, have a pleasant night thinking of your whores."