1984: 19

"He must be sleeping around with another woman. I just know it, Margie. I just know it!" Said Olive as she forcefully scrub the china plates that has beautiful art work of fishes on it. "What do you mean he's sleeping around, Olive? How do you know?" Inquired Margie as she sips her cup of tea while watching olive wash the dishes before dinner starts. "Oh Margie, when I know... I know. Why this morning, while I was putting the dirty clothes in the washing machine. Grabbing Larry's shirt from the basket, I noticed something from it that was very odd to me. I began to smell it... smell smell smell from the in and out as I was smelling it. And then it dawned on me that it smelled nice and cheap. But very alluring: I can give the skank that. It smelled of a woman's perfume on his collar. What is a woman's perfume smelling on his collar, what's it doing there, Hmmm?"

What's it doing there?

Margie sips her tea. Olive turns the running water off. She dries her damped hands with a wash cloth next to the sink and then casually sits next to Margie. She plays with her hair... slowly. "Who could he be fucking? Who?"

"I don't know? I don't know, Livy?"

"I just want to know. He's never home and my marriage is practically over. She destroyed our marriage."

"Oh Livy. That's awful. I'm so truly sorry for you. I can only imagine how terrible it must be for you living in doubt and paranoia and worries about your husband: that's terrible."

"It is awful, Margie. I can sleep properly, I can't think properly, I can't be still properly... all of my focus of went to him and his supposed dirty liaison. I've always had him by my side... taking care of me. And now he's not home that much: not anymore. I'm alone. I don't want to be alone."

Margie lays Olive's head on her shoulder and caresses her cheeks and ear "That's all right. Let it all out... you can cry on my shoulders. You don't have to be alone. There are so many things out there that you could do. Travel. Go to meetings/clubs and such. See a marriage counselor or counselor in general. It's 1984, hon.... and you can do whatever you want. And besides... you're older... you get to have a say in the marriage... not him. Who doesn't he is?"

"He's my husband."

"Of course he is, hon."

"You really think I could do all those fun things?"

"YES!"

"Hmmm? I've never done it before. I don't know where to start. Where do I start?"