Chapter 2 - Home Sweet Home

The day was hot and calm, the only thing interrupting the empty sea blue sky was a few seagulls that scored freely wailing to each other creating conversations only they would be able to understand. Amelia was laying down in an empty park, the sun beating down on her freckles. She took a deep breath in, inhaling as much of the sweet air as she could, stretching and rolling over on to her front. It was a Wednesday afternoon, everyone was at work apart from Amelia who had the day off, taking advantage by going to her favourite park. The park was only up the road from her house and was rarely empty; but today she was lucky, living in Brighton it was hard for Amelia to find places where she could be left alone and empty her head completely. 

She was about to nod off to sleep when the shrill of her phone disturbed her. She picked it up and saw a message from her best friend Louise. 'Hey girl! I think we need a few days away come home soon and we can discuss!' Sighing, Amelia pushed herself off of the thick grass, she grabbed her pink Vans rucksack which was covered in pins and ambled home, taking her time as she took in the beautiful scenery surrounding her. 

Finally arriving home, Amelia stuck her hand in her bag and dug out her keys, which entailed more keyrings than keys. Her house was a terrace house on a long road, all the houses were identical looks-wise of a typical town house, but with a twist of a variety of colours enabling them to standout against each other. Amelia's house was seafoam green, a hideous colour in her opinion if only her landlord would let her repaint it, it stood out massively compared to the pretty pale blues and pink houses opposite. She slid the square headed silver key effortlessly into the lock preparing herself for Louise's usual screaming welcome home hug. With one twist of the lock, she could hear a patter of foot steps of which belonged to her best friend. "MILLIE!" A high pitched voice screamed, dragging Amelia in for hug. Amelia embraced the petite body squeezing her, breathing in her sweet perfume which smelled like peaches and daisy's, she knew this was Louise instantly. 

"Sometimes a quiet peaceful hello is also allowed." Chuckled Amelia stepping back from Louise, who was looking in the mirror effortlessly fixing her hair. Amelia always envied Louise; she was stunning, she was petite, long ombré brown hair reaching down to the middle of her back, deep chocolate eyes that when you look into them, you could feel yourself melting away. Louise chucked her head back with laughter, her hair which had been curled bouncing energetically as her laugh. 

"Oh Mills, you're too funny. You know it wouldn't be a welcome home without me screaming at the top of my lungs!" Amelia laughed back, she was right, she knew she would miss coming home and Louise not there to yell at her. She was due to leave Brighton behind and move to London for an events management job she recently applied to. 

Amelia and Louise both attended University together studying Business Management, they had met on the very first day of uni wearing the same jacket. When sitting down next to each other, they both realised and instantly became the best of friends. The next four years of their lives included attending classes together, going out and getting incredibly drunk that they didn't remember that night and finally in the final year ended up moving in together. The whirlwind of flashbacks brought a tear to Amelia's eyes, she didn't want to leave Louise or Brighton behind, she loved it here way too much but she had no choice.

 "Oh Mills, don't get all emotional it was just a hello. You're going to start me off!" Blubbed Louise, as she pulled Amelia in again for another hug. "I told you, that Tom and I would be coming to help you move in and we're going to be seeing each other every weekend!" Amelia pulled back the tears, and stepped back looking into the mirror wiping away the tears from her very puffy, red face. 

"I know, I know." Amelia breathed. "Come on let's go downstairs and discuss this little getaway!" Louise enthusiastically grabbed Amelia's hand and dragged her down the narrow hallway, and pulled her down the steep stairs leading them downstairs to the open kitchen and living room. 

The house seemed small on the outside which was very deceiving as the inside was a lot bigger. The kitchen had grey marbled topped counters, a silver oven sitting comfortably next to a giant silver fridge, in the middle of the kitchen there was a small round wooden table with four matching chairs placed neatly around it, a dark blue and white spotted table cover flopped on top of the table. The living room had two velvet black sofas one placed by the kitchen entrance to create the illusion of two separate rooms, and the other sofa was resting up against the wooden wall of the stairs. Amelia love the living room, in the corner was a black flat screen TV, a small white coffee table in the centre with a vase filled with daisies in, and a cupboard which sat snug under three white shelves by the first sofa. The one wooden wall was Amelia's favourite part, it had a glittery black hearted boho banner reaching across, the wall filled with white paper hearts that Louise spent two hours cutting out on Valentine's Day and remained there since, followed by a silver 'congrats' ballon banner given to the girls by Louise's boyfriend Tom. 

Amelia sat in silence admiring the house and how much she was going to miss it. Louise was busy in the kitchen fixing them both a cup of tea, she came back with two mugs and placed both upon two silver mirrored coasters on the coffee table. "Before you say anything, yes I made you an iced tea because you don't like hot drinks, I know, I know." Sighed Louise as she rolled her eyes. "You're so weird for not liking hot drinks, I will never understand you." She shook her head and took a sip out of the piping hot ceramic grey mug. Amelia laughed picking up her own mug and taking sip of the refreshing cool beverage before placing it on the coaster. 

"So what is this crazy get away idea you have then?" Amelia asked suspiciously, eyeing Louise as she beamed back at her quickly pulling out her phone from her skinny black jeans. 

"Oh don't look at me like that Mills, it's going to be fun you know me, I would never let you down would I?" Smirked Louise.