Chapter 9 - An Irish Jig

A violet blanket covered the sky, the sun setting softly in the distance. Amelia, stepped outside and could feel the chill of the autumn air hit. Summer was coming to an end and autumn swiftly was entering the streets, leaving dew on everything it encountered. She inhaled the sharp frosty air as she wrapped her arms around herself, keeping the cold winds at bay and started making her way home. She wasn't far from work when she heard the sound of stampeding feet behind her and bellows. 

"Hey Amelia, wait up!" A deep voice demanded. 

"Millie wait there!" Another husky voice followed. Looking rather puzzled, she slowly turned around in the middle of the streets, other confused people turned too, in order to see what the fuss was about. She saw Adam and Dom running down the street after her, she stopped and stared back at them still confused of what was going on. 

"Hey guys, erm what's up?" She questioned, her eyebrows burrowing forward trying to assess the situation. 

"Dom and I are heading to the pub for a few drinks and we were wondering if you wanted to join us?" Adam panted breathlessly, bending over his hands on his knees regaining his breath. Dom happily skipped up next to his best friend and patted him on the back as he chuckled. "Dom you're too energetic for my liking, we simply could have called her mobile!" Amelia chuckled looking down at Adam, who was bright red in the face. 

"Sorrryyyyy, you know I am constantly full of beans!" Dom exclaimed, bouncing around Adam like a kangaroo. He looked up and noticed Amelia chuckling away at the two messing around and smiled, he felt a warmth rise up within him. "So Amelia, did you want to head to the pub for a bit and chill out?" He asked nervously, looking down at the frosted ground below him. 

For a moment Amelia hesitated, she didn't know what she wanted to do. A drink in the pub sounded like a great idea after the last couple of days she had at work, and sitting in a small musty pub seemed like the perfect remedy to soothe her troubles. But on the other hand, she didn't understand her feelings for Dom and she didn't understand their relationship. Surly we shouldn't have a relationship, we work together! She thought to herself quickly. 

"Earth to Amelia!" Adam sung, waving his hand in front of her face, she jumped slightly, startled out of her day dream. 

"Yeah sure why not!" She replied, a coxed a crooked smiled. Dom and Adam linked arms and skipped in front of her leading the way to their favourite pub down the dimly lit road. They both were singing follow the yellow brick road in high squeaky voices, making Amelia giggle to herself  again. She looked at the back of Dom, he was wearing a black baggy hoodie, black and white checked trousers and black crepes. His head was turned facing Adam's with a big smile that could like the dusky night, his laughter echoed the air lightly, Amelia couldn't help but stare. 

They sound arrived to a small pub on the corner of the street, a wooden golden sign hung proudly above the door. Amelia gazed up and started laughing. 

"Oh wow, it really is called the Yellow Brick Road!" Amelia laughed, clutching her stomach as she felt it pinch. 

"Of course it is, why on earth would we be singing it on the way down?" Adam replied sarcastically, holding the wooden beaten door for Dom and Amelia. They entered the small musky pub, a few people were at tables drinking a variety of concoctions, muttering away to themselves. No one seemed to batter and eyelid when the three of them strode in. 

"You guys go get a table, I'll buy us all a drink. What did you want Amelia?" Dom asked, his arm slipped around her waist without him realising, her heart suddenly rose. Dom was too busy looking at the bar with different ales and spirits plastered behind a stocky bartender stacking glasses.