Chapter Fourteen

Hold your horses people!!!

So I know some of you are kind of mad, and some of you are happy with what I did, but for those who aren't happy, just wait and see. You see, I have to continue, and think about it. What's a story without drama? I couldn't really continue the story if she had said yes now could I?

...I should get some sleep, instead of writing...

But then I thought of you guys, and I was like, “what the heck, they want to read, so I need to post.”

Some of you can probably guess what happens next, but your just going to have to read this anyways and see if your correct.

Chapter Fourteen – Celeste

--------------------------

No.”

The word seemed to hang desperately in the air.

My legs were shaking as I stared straight at him. Did I just say, no?
He smiled. Wait, why was he smiling.

“Great,” he said, and then strangely enough, he was about to place the ring on my finger when he froze. The moment of silence seemed to stretch. Then, the ring fell right out of his hand, and plummeted towards the ground, and landed with a loud clatter in the long silence. His face tilted towards me and I gasped. His eyes were suddenly filled with anguish.

“Did you say... no?” I bit my lip slightly as I looked at his face. He looked so sad. Right there and then, I wanted to change my mind. To quickly erase the past and change what I said. But I couldn't. Yeah, I could just say, “Oh never mind, yes yes yes”, but I didn't. I wasn't one to change my mind. I nodded and swallowed a small lump that seemed to linger in my throat.

“Yes,” I said. “I mean, yes I said no.” Another long silence. He searched my face, as if looking for an answer.

“But why?” he asked. I sighed.

“Derek, sometimes, things just are, and I'm sorry. I wish I could say yes, but I just can't.” He shook his head.

“You wish you could say yes, so just say it,” he said desperately, and I could hear his voice shaking. This time, I shook my head.

“Derek,” I repeated, “I just can't.”

With one last good look at him, I whirled around and ran right off the stage and out of the ball room, leaving a devastated Derek and confused crowd in my wake.

Chapter Fourteen Part Two – Derek

---------------------------------

I think I can honestly say my heart hurt. And I mean badly.

Celeste had said no, the only person who's answer had really mattered to me, had said no. Oh hell.

My eyes couldn't leave her as she left me speechless, running down the steps and out of the room. I quickly stood up, my foot landing with a crunch onto the ring. The diamond had shattered, just like my chance at marrying her.

“Celeste,” I yelled, but she didn't turn back.

All eyes were on me, wondering what I was going to do next. Honestly, I couldn't blame them. The same question was traveling through my head.

“Celeste,” I whispered, wishing she would just reappear with a smile, say yes, and give me a hug or something. Yeah, that would probably make it all better. But I couldn't have that.

Glancing over at my parents, I found my father looking shocked while my mother was boringly staring out the window in the ball room. Francesca was frowning and staring towards the exit Celeste had taken.