Chapter Nineteen

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my present to you. I'm sorry it's not wrapped.

Happy Holidays to everyone, and I give my best wishes to any holiday that you celebrate, as long as you have a good time!!!

But please guys, can I get some votes? They've been really low these past few chapters, so I'm going to need 160 votes before the next chapter.

Please enjoy :).

Chapter Nineteen – Derek

------------------------

When we entered the dining room, all eyes immediately centered on us. Everyone had different reactions.

Francesca seemed delighted as both of us entered. Father looked relieved that she had arrived, and seemed ready to dig in. Mother had a disapproving expression on her face. Heath seemed to share Francesca's emotion, except only for Celeste. I gritted my teeth.

As we neared the table, I remembered that the only seat left was by Heath. I saw Celeste glance uncertainty between the two seats, but I made the choice for her.

“Madame Celeste,” Heath said, trying to put in matters for all he was worth, “why don't you sit here,” he said, gesturing to the empty seat beside him. But before she could, I had already taken the seat.

“I think Celeste would prefer to sit with Francesca, wouldn't you?” I asked. She frowned but nodded. Celeste didn't seem to be aware of her surroundings. She looked in a daze.

“Of course I would. Francesca and I need to catch up, right?” Francesca nodded hastily.

“Yes! Come sit, we must talk.”

As Celeste took her seat, Heath turned his complete attention to her.

“So Celeste,” he asked casually, “do you happen to be single?” Her features immediately darkened as she grimaced at him. She swiftly glanced at me, and then back at him. Wait, why did she look at me?

“Uh, yes, I'm single. But, um, who are you?” Heath smiled. I knew how much he liked to introduce himself.

“I am Duke H-”

“He's Uncle heath,” I interrupted. I hated how he always tied to impress people, especially girls, with his title, even though I knew Heath's status wouldn't have mattered a bit to Celeste. It wasn't like she had jumped right into my arms when I had announced myself as the prince.

After I finished speaking, he threw me a look, which I chose to ignore, pretending to study the filet on my plate.

“How old are you then?”

“Twenty,” he answered proudly, then added, “and single.”

If Celeste felt flattered by his comment, which I hoped not, she didn't show it.

“That's great,” she said. “Good for you.” And then she turned away to talk with Francesca.

Uncle heath looked dumbstruck. Usually, his prey always seemed so captivated by him. This time, the tables had turned. He leaned towards me, as if to whisper something, and I scooted away in response. He didn't seem to notice, but continued to lean forward.