1. maya the car thief

MAYA
THE CAR THIEF

MAYA ROLLED HER CIGARETTE and brought it to her lips, lighting it as she walked down the street, catching an uncanny sight above the theater

MAYA ROLLED HER CIGARETTE and brought it to her lips, lighting it as she walked down the street, catching an uncanny sight above the theater. The shiny poster held the title of a new movie coming out, « All the right moves » but Maya slid down her sunglasses for the tag painted in red just under it : « starring Nancy the slut Wheeler ».

The girl furrowed her eyebrows, utterly shocked and confused. Out of all the girls in Hawkins, Nancy was, with Barb, everything but a slut. Maya shook her head, realizing the stupid thought that crossed her mind. No girl was a slut or else she was the number one, yet, nobody had ever tagged her name followed by an insult in any public places. Or maybe people already did but since she was the daughter of the sherif, policemen spent every morning cleaning people's messes.

She laughed to herself as people walking by gave her some side looks and she shrugged, walking away only to see Steve and his stupid ass friends run away from a cop and Jonathan be handcuffed by another officer. Maya rolled her eyes and hopped in the police car as Powell noticed her.

"Maya, to what do we owe the pleasure ?" Powell asked as he put Jonathan in the car next to her.

"Hi, Powell. I need to see my dad real quick," she answered, "Hi, Jonathan. So, fighting the big boys, uh?"

Jonathan half-smiled, he hadn't seen Maya in a very long time. They would cross path at the record store or at the movie theater and chat but everything had changed ever since she started dating Cole. She seemed to have vanished from the surface of Earth and it always looked like something was wrong.

"Hi, Maya," Jonathan breathed out, wincing at the pain, "Well, these assholes tagged some awful words above the theater and they kept bragging about it."

"Gosh, I don't know what the fuck is wrong with Steve lately, he's usually nice.."

"Yeah, you should give up, he is a douche."

"Actually, I won't. I have a school project with him, I'll swing by his house later and talk to him."

Jonathan absentmindedly nodded as Maya rolled down the window, bringing the lighter to the cigaret, smoking in silence for the rest of the ride.

When Maya walked inside the police station, Nancy was already inside, probably waiting for Jonathan. The girl waved in her direction as Maya sat in front of her, where the officer would usually be sitting.

"Hey, Nancy. I just wanted to say, we aren't really close friends or anything but you don't deserve what's happening to you. And I'm glad you have Jonathan, he won't do this to you, ever."

"Uh... thanks, Maya," Nancy trembled, not expecting support from anyone, "I hope we can become better friends soon."

Maya smiled, raising to her feet, "Me too."