7. maya's downfall

MAYA'S
DOWNFALL

MAYA WALKED OUT of the locker room in her sports' outfit as she took a few laps on the field to warm up before practice

MAYA WALKED OUT of the locker room in her sports' outfit as she took a few laps on the field to warm up before practice. She loved running. She knew it was a weird thing but it was linked to her childhood.

When her sister passed away, Maya was still quite young. And this tragic event created an awful environment in her family home. So, whenever her parents fought, Maya would climb out the window and run in circles in the backyard. She never left the house, though. Her parents noticed and took her to several doctors and therapists, scared that she had been mentally weakened by her sister's death.

Every doctor had the same opinion on the matter, Maya had a mental trauma, obviously, but running for hours in the backyard wasn't a problem, instead, it was a solution. Maya would run to keep her mind busy with something that would prevent her to overthink bad things. She never stopped running ever since. And she was quite good at it, in fact, she was one of the top leaders of the Hawkins' Team.

Maya walked inside the gymnasium, as she joined the other girls of the team. They were on the bleachers, lurking over the boys who played basketball.

"The new guy is so hot," Jeannette said, almost drooling.

"You say that because he's new and shirtless," Lucy pointed out, "Steve will always be the hottest, I mean, just look at him."

Maya gazed over at the two boys, as Steve had the ball and Billy blocked his way, seemingly playing with him. Maya was half happy to see Steve struggling, she couldn't forget how he abandoned her and Nancy at Tina's party the night before, but at the same time, she wanted to see him win over Billy. Her heart couldn't stop fluttering as she watched him.

She couldn't deny anymore that she liked him, she knew it for a while now, but she couldn't let any of her feelings come through. He was dating Nancy and she didn't want to destroy a relationship. Not that Steve liked her anyway.

"Maya, what'd you think ? I mean, you're friends with both so you spend a lot of time seeing their faces up close." Amelia asked with a smirk.

"And don't forget their bodies," Lucy added, "Lucky Maya."

Maya chuckled, "I don't know, they're both hot in their own way, I guess."

"Yeah, right, who bets she kisses or dates at least one of them ?" Lucy said with a smile as Maya slapped her on the back.

"Shut up, Lucy, we're just friends."

All the girls gave her some knowing looks as Maya seemed shocked, she knew that rumors were spreading a lot about her but never did she think once that her own teammates expected her to date one of the two boys.

"I bet she's gonna kiss both but will date Billy," Dorothea bet, "Ugh, she'd look good with both, it's infuriating."

"No !" Jeannette disagreed, "I also agree on her kissing both but there's no way she'll date Billy, her and Harrington, that's the real deal."