10. maya and steve

MAYA AND STEVE
insightful explosion

AS STEVE was bringing Dustin back home for the night, Maya was in the teenage boy's living room, scanning every single childhood picture she could find

AS STEVE was bringing Dustin back home for the night, Maya was in the teenage boy's living room, scanning every single childhood picture she could find. There weren't many but she giggled every time her eyes landed on a frame where Steve was younger. She didn't know much about his childhood, even less about his family, besides the obvious fact that they were almost never home and she was happy to see he seemed like a joyful kid.

It probably explained why he could be a jerk, sometimes, but always had the strength to take responsibility for his actions and try to become better.

She lit a cigarette and her eyes landed on a vinyl from Supertramp, the album Breakfast in America. She jumped up in happiness and started the vinyl as she spun around, singing along.

Steve walked in at this exact moment, smiling so widely his cheeks started to hurt. Maya was playing air guitar as she shook her body in every possible way, jumping over the couch for the final note. He whistled and clapped as Maya jumped up in fear. They made eye contact and she bursted out in laughter, feeling somehow embarrassed.

She tossed him a cigarette, which landed directly in his mouth, making her laugh a little more.

"So, you and the Henderson kid, uh?!" she said cheekily, "I would've never imagined this coming."

"Yeah, neither did I," he scoffed.

"Why were you even with him anyways?"

"Uh, long story," Steve coughed, "I was swinging by your house and he was trying to see if either you or your dad were home."

Maya lifted an eyebrow in surprise, "Why?"

"He had a pet named Dart," Steve started, "And, well.. Dart ate his cat."

"What the fuck?! What kind of pet is this?!"

"I think it's like the monster that attacked us in Jonathan's house last year."

"A demogorgon?!" Maya panicked.

"I.. Yeah, I guess, if it's the name for.. whatever eats cats," Steve jabbered.

Maya sighed as she literally lied down on the couch. It confirmed that the Upside Down was still in activity, that the whole city was in trouble. And after the fight she had with her dad and with what happened with Cole earlier, she didn't want to worry, to be scared, to be sad.

"Do you have beers?" she asked as Steve looked surprised, "I just.. I'd like to have one great night, you know?"

"Yeah, I'd like one too," Steve answered as he grabbed a pack of beers from the fridge.

They drank their first beer in one shot, finishing the pack of beers quickly, as Steve decided this night was a good occasion to open some of his parents' wine bottles. They were quite expensive but for the little time they spent at home, it's like the bottles were Steve's, like the house was his' as well.