9. double confrontation

DOUBLE CONFRONTATION
beginning of a new quest

IT WAS DARK OUTSIDE and Maya's light turtleneck was clearly anything but enough to stop the wind to chill her entire body

IT WAS DARK OUTSIDE and Maya's light turtleneck was clearly anything but enough to stop the wind to chill her entire body. She rubbed her hands on her arms as she inhaled strongly on her cigarette.

She thought she had found her father, in reality, she couldn't help but feel like he had been hiding secrets from her for months, that she was barely a part of his life anymore.

The smoke of her cigarette slowly turned into a darker shade of grey as it was consuming the filter and she frowned, throwing the stub and placing a new one in between her lips.

"Hey, I didn't see you there," Jim said as he sat down next his daughter, stealing a cigarette from her pack, "What are you doing here?"

"I need to talk to you," Maya answered.

Jim's face fell as he noticed how serious Maya looked. He knew he would have to face weeks' worth of questions, he knew he made her worried sick for all these nights he didn't come home, he knew he had screwed up big time.

"Where have you been?" Maya asked, "I-I mean, you've been gone for so long and I find you under the surface of Earth, almost killed by these weird creatures I thought we had gotten rid of last year."

Jim sighed, he couldn't lie anymore, "I found her."

"Who?"

"The girl," he whispered, "Eleven."

Maya opened her eyes wide, "What?! When?"

"I don't remember exactly, a few months after she disappeared, I guess?"

Maya's breath stuck in her throat, "I-I'm sorry, what?! You found her and.. you never told me?!"

"Maya, please calm down."

"Hell no! I am your daughter, your biological daughter. You raised me, remember?!" Maya let out, standing up. "Where have you been when I needed you?! Taking care of another girl?! What about me?"

"Maya, please, let me explain!"

Jim rose to his feet but Maya stepped back, feeling tears sting her eyes. Her own father had spent months raising a girl at the expense of his older one.

"I don't wanna hear you. I can clearly see you gave up about me. And maybe you're right, maybe I'm not worth your love or your care. But I'm the product of your education so if you don't wanna screw up El', maybe you should change your parental methods."

She hiccuped and walked towards the car, "And I'm taking your car, I assume you won't need it for now."

She didn't give her father time to answer that she drove away, her vision being blurred by the tears threatening to fall down. And they did, and her face looked like a salted waterfall, the tears drying and clinging onto her cheeks as she continuously hit the steering wheel and she screamed the pain away, only increasing her anger and sorrow.