6. Dictionary

Trotting into town at the break of dawn, Cadence's hooves pattering on the brick roads, her mane blowing softly and Freya bouncing lightly on her back, the two reached the town in a matter of minutes. Freya rode across the clearing, passing a few gift shops, stores, and people who were up to do their business around the town.

Freya headed through, heading toward the church. She made it to the old building, hoping Pastor Evan was inside. She planned to ask him if he knew German, and perhaps he even would have a book on it.

Hopping off of Cadence, Freya tied her reins to a post nearby and then brushed off her gown before walking up the steps and toward the doors. She slowly pushed one of them open, hearing a voice. She saw Pastor Evan on his stage, reading out of his booklet he preached from every Sunday. His entire focus was on it, he didn't notice Freya when she slipped into the room. She smiled softly as she watched him practice for the next upcoming sermon.

"The Lord says, 'Love your friends and love your enemies. The Holy Lord commanded this for a reason. For if you love your friends but hate your enemies, you are no better than the enemy himself. Forgiveness, of all things-'" Pastor Evan cut off, looking up and noticing her.

"Well, if it isn't Freya Carter!" He set the booklet down, walking off his stage and heading toward her.

Freya smiled, closing the door behind her and walking to him, greeting him with a simple hug. Pulling away, she looked at him. He looked worn out, eyes tired and dull. That was unusual for him.

"How are you doing?" His voice took on a tone of concern as he looked down at her.

She paused, before answering honestly, "Pretty good. I've accepted the fact that my fathers not coming back, nothing can change that. It still hurts deep down, but I'm good." She replied.

He smiled softly. "Good, I'm glad your recovering well. So what brought you here today? Came to see me preach?" He joked, turning and walking back up the stage, picking up his booklet and marking a few things in it.

She followed. "No, but it did sound good. I need to ask a favor, if you don't mind."

He turned to her, narrowing his blue eyes and replied, "Of course. What is it?"

"Do you speak German?" She asked quickly.

He nodded. "German?" He narrowed his eyes. "I never learnt it but my father knew some of it. Why?"

Freya paused, thinking. "I just need it for something. Um, perhaps you have a book or something on it? If not, do you think the library would?" She said quickly, her gaze flickering away.

He blinked, returning his focus to his booklet, running a hand through his short, Auburn hair. He paused, sighing as he thought for a moment.

"Yes, I think I do. I definitely know I have a book on French and Hebrew, maybe Russian. You just want the German one? Can you even read German?" He asked, curiosity reflecting in the blue eyes as he returned focus on her.

She shook her head. "No. Is it a dictionary?"

"I have a dictionary somewhere. Do you want it now? It's in the back, I can grab it." He walked past the stage, toward a door in the back. Entering it, Freya wasn't too sure whether to stay of follow, so she stayed put.

When Evan returned, he had a large, green book in his hands. She walked forward the meet him and he gave her the book. On the front were the words, 'Deutsch Wörterbuch,' and under that we're the smaller outlined words that read, 'German dictionary.'

Freya smiled, "This is perfect, thank you Pastor Evan!"

He nodded, but didn't smile in return. "Why do you need a German dictionary?"