10. Napkin Flowers

The sun was in it's daily routine of traveling the sky, shining it's bright rays down on the earth. It was almost across the sky, heading down to set on the waves of the ocean as the day slowly came to an end.

Freya had ended up avoiding the barn after trying to explain to Axel what had happened and that soldiers knew he was in the area. She didn't want her grandparents suspecting anything and for all she knew, there could still be British soldiers around the area. He had understood, motioning at her to be quiet. She had nodded and returned the signal to him. Then, she had left.

Freya felt the urge to get away from the land for a bit. She wanted to be alone and take a deep breath. The recent death of her father, the discovery of Axel, the fact that guards knew about a German soldier, and her grandparents plan was almost overwhelming.

She walked off her land, following the trail that led down to the beach but instead of going down, she left the trail to walk alongside the cliffs. She had never feared heights, so walking only inches from a fall that could be fatal didn't disturb her much. She walked through long, green grass that almost reached her knees and brushed alongside her with every step. Her blue orbs were fixed on the blades as they blew and moved in sweeping motions because of the coastal wind. Freya walked through it and then stopped, turning and facing the ocean below her.

Waves crashed onto the shore as the tide came in, the water reflecting the setting sun. She squinted her eyes, the brightness entering them.  Staring out across the sea, she felt a sense of peace. It was peaceful here. She liked it. She let out a sigh, looking up at the evening sky and noticing dark clouds above her head. Little streak like shapes, with navy blue sky in between the rows of clouds. Her blue eyes took every aspect of it in. It was calm. The dark streaks didn't bring lightning or thunder or rain this time. Just created designs.

Freya let out a small sigh and lowered her gaze back onto the water.

"Do you think I'm doing the right thing, by helping him? I feel so..." She stopped whispering, narrowing her eyes.

She felt like she was a traitor to her own people. To the soldiers who were risking their lives to protect hers. She felt fear. Fear of what would happen if someone found out about Axel. If they found out that she was the one who had helped him survive. But her thoughts transformed into another thought. What would they do if they found him? Shoot him on sight? Take him as a prisoner, maybe.

"I just don't want to risk my safety by trying to save him. He..he is the enemy and I shouldn't be helping him. It's not right." She added softly, blinking a few times and breaking her gaze from the water, looking down.

She wished her father or even her mother could have been there to guide her. But that was impossible. She didn't even know why she was talking out loud. She just felt so many emotions.

But it wouldn't be right to have left him on the beach to die.

The thought sprang into her mind.

She blinked, emotions that were bottling up inside her rising up, trying to break the surface. She was going to save him, it was too late to turn back now. But what about when he got better and could walk again? Where would he go? She shook her head, brows narrowing. Those questions couldn't be answered yet. It was too soon.

The sun met the water, rays glimmering off the waves as Freya decided to head back. Her heart felt heavy. Walking, she found the trail and began walking back. If the war hadn't happened, if it had never began, her father would be here. It was true in a sense.

She was soon on the road leading up to the house. She would say a quick 'goodnight' to Axel and then she would get to bed. She was tired after the days stress. Rest was the only thing she wanted.

She past the house and arrived at the barn, opening the doors and allowing the last of the sunlight to stream through, allowing a little bit of brightness in the barn as she climbed up the ladder. She had to admit, her arms were pretty sore after all of the climbing she had been doing. At the top, she saw Axel's form in the hay, just a silhouette in the darkness of the barn.

He shifted slightly, turning his dark head toward her so she could vaguely see his eyes. She stepped away from the edge of the loft, and then sat down on the wood a few feet away from him. He focused his gaze on her, noticing something was off. She sighed, turning her gaze toward him. She watched him move his hand around the hay, then pick up a shape and she realized it was the book. He then proceeded to sit up, pushing himself up with his hands and shift toward her, closing the distance between them until they were only about a foot apart.

She kept her eyes on him, cautious. He looked down at the book, opening it but then realizing it was almost too dark to read the words that were barely visible and he sighed, gently turning and tossing it into the hay. He shook his head, muttering something in German, then cleared his throat, focusing his freckled face on her.

"Freya..." He pointed at her, "Okay?" He sounded so uncertain of himself, resting his hands uneasily on his legs as he waited to make sure the words were correct.

She blinked, "Saying yes would be a lie."

He stared at her, narrowing his eyes in helplessness. She felt the end of her mouth curve up slightly as she added, "In other words, no. No."

He nodded, understanding that. He looked around for something, emerald orbs lighting up as he saw the basket nearby, grabbing it and taking out the leftover napkin that the chocolate had been wrapped in, his hands tearing at it and folding it up. Freya tilted her head, peering around his busy hands as he stared down at the napkin as he worked. Then, he stopped and covered the new form of the napkin up with a hand. He held up his hand, index finger motioning at her to wait, pausing her curious looking as he turned away, resuming his job. She narrowed her eyes, wondering what he was doing.

The Germn then cleared his throat, saying something in German and turning to face her again, covering something up in his hands. She watched as he smiled and removed the top hand, holding out the folded napkin. She took it, looking down and realizing what he had made. He had folded the napkin into a flower, a rose. She smiled, looking down and studying the folds and layers of cloth that he had designed into the flower. It was pretty good, she had to admit.

Looking up, she nodded and smiled, "Thanks, Axel. That helped."

He smiled in return, satisfied with her answer. Then, he narrowed his eyes, blinking at her. "Why?"

"Why I said thanks?"

"Why no?"

Ah. He was interested in why she had been upset. She swallowed, looking toward the opening of the barn. She would need to go soon, but she could spare five more minutes to attempt and explain why.

"Well, it's..." How should she explain this to someone who couldn't even understand half of what she said? Looking back at Axel, she saw his face was focused and determined and she continued. "You. You are not supposed to be here." He looked down, studying his hands for a moment.

"I unde..er..stand." He replied slowly, raising his head, his dark hair resting on his forehead as he waited.

She was glad he had been reading the book. It was definitely helping. "I am going to help you, though." She nodded as she spoke those words.

She saw him smile softly.

"Trouble?" He asked, a grin on his face. She wasn't too sure why.

"Trouble...yes. If they find you."

"Escape."

"Not if your ankle," She reached out and tapped his ankle, watching him wince, "Isn't healed." He sighed at her response.

"Soon." He raised his eyebrows, reaching forward and tapping his own ankle, suppressing the pain. "Then, home."

She smiled. "You plan to do that how?" He blinked, confused.

"How?" She repeated, noticing that the shadows were creeping up the loft. It was almost dark. Before he could respond, she pointed down the loft. "Think of how while I'm gone. Tell me in the morning. Goodnight, Axel." She said softly, standing.

He frowned. "Night." He then smiled as she showed him the flower he had made, then proceeded to step down the ladder.

She closed the barn doors, heading back toward her house as the moon rose into the sky.