Epilogue

The doors to the church in the little town of Swingate were open this morning, the sun shining through the glass windows as families and groups of people prepared for Easter Sunday, getting dressed in their best outfits and dresses and preparing to attend the Sunday service. The town was lit up with the rising sun as it rose over the distant hills, causing the land to glow.

Running his hand along his auburn shaded goatee, Pastor Evan briskly walked through the filling aisles of the church, Bible in his left hand as he approached the exit, his aged blue eyes running over his building as he eagerly watched and welcomed his friends and his companions, searching for a specific person. Technically, he was looking for four people.

His heart was filled with joy and excitement as he opened the doors, patting a neighbor on the back as he walked down the steps, seeing a few people riding in on horses or in cars. He looked around, standing at the bottom of the steps as the cool, spring air blew through the small town. He then caught the sight of four approaching figures and he recognized them immediately. Well, two of them. His breath caught in his throat as his eyes landed on his best friend, who was supposed to be dead.

"N-no way..." Evan breathed, stepping forward and walking over to them.

Freya stood, smiling brightly while holding the hands of a young boy who looked to be around two or three. Beside her, a tall, lean man stood, his green eyes meeting Evans as he approached. Evan noticed that the dark haired young man only had one arm. Next to Freya, on her other side, was her father, alive.

"Evan!" Her father smiled, walking forward while holding a cane as the two embraced happily. Freya stood next to them, the little boy breaking away and turning to run off toward a horse. Axel swooped down and grabbed the boy in his one arm and lifted him up, whispering to him.

Evan stepped away, eyeing Freya's father, who had aged but still looked well and as he remembered him. "How are you doing, Evan?" He asked.

"I'm doing well, and you? How did you survive?"

"It's a long story." He chuckled in return, placing his hand on Evans shoulder. "But I'm here now, mate. Right where I belong." He stepped aside, revealing Freya.

Freya stepped forward, hugging Evan tightly. "It's been almost eight years! I'm sorry we couldn't visit sooner! It's so good to see you!" She let go and Evan smiled, his eyes transferring to the one armed man next to her.

Axel smiled, freckled face bright as he reached his hand out. "Pleasure to meet you, I'm Axel." They shook hands and Evan begin to understand.

"You are the German boy, aren't you?" Evan asked, tilting his head. Axel nodded, chuckling softly.

Evan paused, turning to the little boy who had been set down earlier and was now looking at a beetle. "Who is this little guy?"

"That would be our son," Freya began, "His name is Roger. We named him after Roger, he passed away in London during the air raids." Freya said softly, and Evan noticed that she had accepted the fact that he was gone. That was good.

"I heard. I got your fathers letter a while ago, he told me you would all be visiting," Evan looked down at the boy. The boy had dark brown hair that was ruffled and stuck up. Looking up at Evan, the boy frowned, his bright, green eyes narrowing as he looked around and stood up on short legs. He began walking away, his focus on a small patch of grass nearby. Evan smiled.

"He is a blessing from the Lord." Evan said softly, focusing on Freya and Axel. "So, are you both married...oh." Evan noticed the rings on their fingers and he smiled. "Never mind."

"Actually," Freya smiled, shaking her head. "We're not. He proposed to me, and we have gone around saying we're married. We are, in our hearts." At this, Axel chuckled. Freya looked at him, laughing and continuing. "We wanted to know if you would officially marry us, while we're here?"

Evan's eyes widened and he smiled, the sun rising further and brightening the town. "I would love to."

"Thanks!" Freya and Axel smiled in unison and Evan watched as Axel pulled her into a hug, his only arm wrapping around her comfortingly as she hugged him back. He smiled, joy filling his chest as he realized he no more needed to worry about them. He and her father smiled at each other.

"Say, lets all go in. The sun is hot." Freya's father commented, his eyes bright as he smiled and began walking inside, the rest nodding in agreement as they made their way inside, Freya grabbing little Roger as he protested, reaching for the beetle.

They all walked into the church, out of the rays of sunlight that shone, escaping the sound of the distant waves that could be heard in the far distance. People laughed, conversating and smiling outside and inside, lives at peace since the war.

Not everything ends completely happily, Freya learned. You'll lose things in life and you'll gain things in life. She knew that Roger had shown her that he knew what true love was, despite everything he had been through. He had show what true love was by sacrificing himself for Axel. Freya knew that he was a true hero to her, and that they wouldn't be where they were now without him. She looked over at Axel as he laughed, gently playing with little Roger as he grasped at Axel''s shirt. Axel smiled, looking up and catching Freya staring. He winked, smiling and turning his beautiful emerald orbs back to little Roger. Freya smiled, watching her father talk among people in the church, a smile on his face as Evan waved his arms around, explaining something with a laugh.

Freya knew that she had fulfilled her promise to Axel.

After everything they had been through, she had managed to bring him home.