29. Packing

Sunlight warmed Freya's ivory skin as she rode through the woods, enjoying the sense of freedom as she explored. The sun wasn't up yet, just the rays of dawn that provided a little bit of light, enough for her to see. She kept to the trail as they went further, the horses hooves pounding on the dirt and rocks as they headed downhill, the trail in front of them narrowing as they descended toward a more flatter road.

Freya blinked, pulling the reins back as she slowed the horse down. She steadily and cautiously made it down the hill, the horse nickering as Freya looked around to make sure that she wasn't being followed before continuing.  Trotting at a smooth pace, Freya followed the trail that would eventually lead her into the town. She had some things that she needed to take care of. She had woken up and left before either of the boys had, using Rogers horse to ride away from the house.

She broke out of the forest as the trees began to thin and soon she saw the town in the distance. Freya kicked the side of the horse, running forward, entering the empty town and riding through the streets until she was out of it, heading down the road that would lead to her home. Freya saw the light of dawn brightening as she rode, the wind from the coast blowing her two french braids as she continued down the road.

She soon saw her house, just the way she had left it. To her relief there were no guards or soldiers, or people in general. Only her and her horse. Freya approached the house, still weary as she slid down and tied the reins to the post nearby. Her gaze shifted as she turned her eyes to the barn. She didn't know what to do about the animals. She would have to figure something out.

She opened the door, swinging it open, revealing darkness. Sighing, she walked inside, heading straight for the wooden stairs. Climbing up them, she went to her room and to her closet, pulling out a medium sized bag. The bag was big enough to hold a few changed of clothing along with a few spare things. Her heart felt torn as the thought that she may never see her home again entered her mind, causing her to look around the room for a moment. Letting out a long sigh she went to her dresser, pulling out her favorite two work dresses, underwear, socks, and then placing her comb and a pack of matched in a side pocket.

She looked around the room one last time before exiting it, closing the door behind her. Her hand lingered on the doorknob before she forced herself away and went to her fathers room. She opened the door, walking over to the picture of her father and his friends. She picked it up, placing it gently into the bag. Then she walked over to his wooden dresser, pulling out a small amount of clothing for Axel. Then, she looked at the bottom drawer.

Opening it, she pulled out a pistol, grabbing a handful of bullets for it as well. She also saw a few hunting knives, which she packed too. She wasn't going to take any chances. Freya then stood dup, holding the bag.

"Father, I hope I'm doing the right thing. I..I am sorry I have to leave." She whispered, her eyes looking around the room as she finished.

Done with everything that she needed to get, she left the room, walking into hers so that she could finally change out of her swimwear. She put on a simple dress and a pair of shorts underneath and then she left the room. Done, she went back downstairs and over to the pantry, picking a few apples and putting it into the bag. She looked at a picture of her grandparents that sat on the kitchen counter. Would they get noticed that she was going to go missing? Freya's eyes clouded. She knew very well that she may never see them again, if things went wrong.

She opened a drawer and got out a piece of paper, grabbing a pencil and she began to write.

Dear Grandpa and Grandma, I'm sorry that I couldn't tell you this in person. I want to tell you the truth. But it could put you in possible risk of danger and I'd rather not worry you so much. Not that you aren't already. If I don't come home, don't worry. I'm doing something that I have to do, and I feel as though my father would have agreed with me. If I do ever return, I will tell you everything. Please don't worry about me. I love you both, thank you for everything.