38. For a good cause

Lightning flashed in the darkened sky over Germany as Dieter Schafer put his vest on, zipping it up as soldiers murmured beside him, throwing supplies into the back of his plane. The dark hairs soldier stared into the distance, his eyes captivated by the moon. Moonlight shadowed the men and the planes that surrounded him as they prepared to do another attack on London. He blinked, hazel eyes lowering as he surveyed his men, watching as his fellow comrades piled their supplies into the back of the bomber he would be flying.

Schafer looked away, his thoughts on home as homesickness washed over him. As a fighter pilot, he hadn't been home for a while. And he had recently found out that he hadn't just lost his youngest brother, but his older brother had recently been killed at the front of a battle with America. Axel, his littlest brother. Dieter Schafer was the second oldest so him and Axel had been close. And his older brother. They had all been a team, had all joined the military.

He sighed softly, pulling out a pack of cigarettes and pulling a stick out, along with his silver lighter as he struck one. His men turned at the light of the flame and a commotion rang out, the pilot has cigarettes! Dieter tossed the pack toward his men, a small smile on his face as they all shared one. Staring at his men, his brothers, his current family, Dieter decided that his brothers died for a good cause, serving Germany in attempt to win the war.

He knew deep down that they would lose because of America.

But he had hope. Hope was lodged deep inside of him.

He turned toward the plane, signaling to the men to get inside and get ready to operate the plane. They would be bombing England again, mainly London.

He signaled to the other pilots who were standing near the cockpit, he was ready to go. He would deposit all of the bombs onto England to destroy the reason his brothers weren't here now. He was prepared to die as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ace left the meeting he had been in, stepping outside into the crisp, cool air as he took his hat off and brushed his light hair aside, staring up at the moon, which was unusually bright this night. He smiled, relaxing as he began making his way down the street and back toward the barracks. He had a plan on how to safely get the three teenagers home now. It was simple, but would be costly. he didn't mind lending some money, though. After all, bringing good and kindness into the war was the exact thing that they needed at this moment.

Ace trailed down the street, his mind on the thoughts of home. He yawned, continuing down the road. He was excited to be able to lay down in his bed. A few of his friends he worked with were hanging outside the barracks, pointing up at the sky as Ace neared. It was a few of his fellow sergeants. Ace approached and one of the men turned toward him, causing Ace to freeze. Fear was ignited in the soldiers eyes as he stared at Ace.

"Sir, we've picked up several traces of a possible enemy attack. German Bombers. Halfway here. The navy alerted us." The soldier explained quickly, pacing the front of the building as soldiers rushed in and out. Ace's heart speed picked up as alarm rose into the chilly air.

"What do you mean, are they going to bomb again? Where?"

The man cleared his throat, lowering his cap as he met Ace's gaze. "If the calculations are precise from the navy translator, we have gotten messages and received data that they are planning on hitting this area. Within hours."

"Within hours?!" Ace gasped, running past the soldier and into the building. He ran down the hall, turning the corners and going toward the barracks where his men were. He knew what he would have to do. He needed to get up there and stop them, before they destroyed even more of London. Soldiers and men ran past him, yells echoed in the hallway as men got prepared to fight back and evacuate the area.

"I want my squadron dressed in their jumpsuits now!" Ace yelled, passing his men's barracks. His men filed out, already dressed. Panic filled the air as they all rushed around each other, each person consumed with a job of their own. Ace ran into his room, throwing his clothes off and pulling his jumpsuit on, the pajama like outfit fitting as he grabbed his helmet and his flight gear before heading outside.

Ace gave the order to his men as they all followed him, out to the back of the building, when a higher ranking soldier stepped in front of Ace.

"We need you up there now. They said that the bombers would be here within hours, but that time had been mistaken. They are here. Were turning the warning sirens on now, but you and your crew need to try to prevent them from doing any damage." The soldier said, his own eyes wide.

"yes, sir! Boys, did you get that? No guts, no glory! Bring the bandits down!" He yelled as they all picked up speed, running out to where their planes sat on the runway. Ace nodded, shaking each of his crew members hands.

"Remember, this war isn't about you or me. It's about whats at home. Fight for your family." Ace yelled above the loud sirens to his men, staring at each of them. They all nodded, agreeing as they began heading off toward their fighter planes. Ace let out a shaky breath, heading off toward his plane. He climbed up into the cockpit and sealing the glass with the button. Starting the engine, he prepared to take flight.