22. Swimming

Axel's P.O.V-

Sunlight fell down upon two figures, casting shadows onto the warm, white sand. The waves rolled calmly onto the shore, leaving and taking shells and other treasures the ocean had to offer. A few seagulls flew over the water, resting and hovering with the wind as they searched the ground for crabs. The wind was strong, picking up sand and blowing it across the ground and carrying the ocean scent with it. A small crab scurried out of their way as the figures made their way across the sand, leaving imprints in the sand as they walked.

Axel was on one crutch as he limped on the sand, finding it difficult to use it with the sand below. Freya was walking next to him, in a short, loose blue dress that reached her knees and her hair tied back in a simple ponytail with a ribbon, so it wouldn't blow everywhere with the coast winds.  She was holding a picnic basket and making sure he wouldn't fall. They traveled slowly so he wouldn't push his ankle.

Freya had came downstairs and had told Axel that they could go to the beach for lunch and he had agreed. She had made some food and put it in a basket and then they had left, taking the single crutch with them because Axel didn't like using both of them. He had just used it as support so there wouldn't be too much pressure on his ankle, but some of the pain was slowly fading.

Freya stopped walking and motioned to a clear, sandy area. Axel grinned, green eyes taking in the beach scenery as he looked around and out toward the water, watching the waves crash onto the shore in front of them with wide, green eyes. He had never been on the beach before and he was amazed at what he saw. Freya stepped back and pulled a blanket out of the basket, setting the basket down. She lifted the blanket into the air and the wind caught it, making it easier for her to spread out. When the basket was completely spread out, she placed the basket on top of it and then helped Axel sit down.

Axel stared out at the water, fear and awe in his chest as he remembered choking under those waves. The wind blew against him, pushing his hair back and blowing the button up around, as he had unbuttoned the bottom few and the top one, leaving only a few in the middle buttoned. He had to squint his emerald orbs against the bright sunlight, the glares reflecting off the dancing waves as he took in the scene before him. He had been to afraid the day he had washed up on shore to really look around.

So he took in all he could now.

Axel turned his head toward the sound of a soft laugh and saw Freya watching him as she pulled out a few sandwiches and set them down on the unpatterned blue quilt. He smiled, confused as he watched a strand of her hair come loose, Freya reaching her hand up to brush it behind her ear in annoyance.

"W-what?" He asked curiously, one knee bent while his left leg was stretched in front of him so his ankle could rest as he held himself up with his hands behind him. His hair blew around with the wind and it felt odd against his head wound but he ignored the feeling.

Freya looked at him, sunlight lighting her ivory skin as she just shook her head and replied, smiling, "It's just the way...It's like you've never seen the beach before." She raised her hand again to brush that strand away.

"Ah." Axel nodded, smiling as he drew designs in the sand next to him with his finger. "That's because I haven't." He tilted his head, squinting as he watched her blue eyes widen in disbelief.

"That's disappointing." She answered, pulling out a few apples and some lemon cakes she had made.

Axel shrugged, looked up at the sky and closing his eyes, letting the mid-day sun warm his skin as he basked in the sunlight, enjoying the warmth it gave off. He sighed softly, letting go of every worry in his head as he sat there. He was aware of movement coming from Freya and then he peeked an eye open, looking over in her direction. She had pulled the dress over her head to reveal a loose, white shirt with a tight fitting tank top underneath and a pair of knee length white shorts. Axel felt awkward and he turned his head the other way, staring out into the ocean. He heard an awkward chuckle as Freya watched him look away.