35. I needed to

Freya followed Axel and Roger down the streets of London, looking around the once grand city as they explored while Ace was busy with his own things. Ace was in charge of a flight of pilots in training, so he needed to stay at the base and work with them. He had told the three to do whatever they wanted, just to stay off the base until he was done. Then, Ace would try to find them a ride to Germany. He seemed determined to help them out and all three were very thankful for that.  They just hoped that they would get there soon.

Keeping pace with the others, Freya blinked against the evening rays of the sun, her blue orbs landing on people as they walked with or around them. They had been exploring London for the majority of the day, eating at a small cafe and then walking around some more. Her feet were a little sore from it all but she would be okay. There were more people in this area, they had probably moved farther up into London to get away from the damage. Freya took a deep breath, smelling the sweet scent of the air, her nose detecting the smell of sugar. She looked to her right and she saw a closed bakery, small cakes and desserts in the window. She smiled, admiring the icing on some of the cakes.

She looked ahead, catching up with Axel and Roger as they continued walking. She then heard the distant sound of soft music, far from the block they were on now. She squinted her eyes, looking into the distance but unable to spot anything.

"What's that?" She questioned softly, looking up at Roger. He blinked down at her, then looked up toward where the sound was coming from. He narrowed his eyes, shrugging.

"I don't know, but if you want we can check it out." He responded, curious as well as he looked around, pausing a man who was dressed in a black jacket to protect from the beginning of autumn weather. "Sir, do you know what the music is from?" Roger asked.

The man, glanced at the three before nodding. "It's the annual autumn dance. I'm shocked they didn't postpone it because of the attacks, but who knows?" He nodded, tipping his hat and walking away.

Freya blinked, looking toward the sound. She had never been to a dance before. She wondered what it was like... Freya stopped, looking up to see Axel and Roger staring at her. Suddenly feeling awkward, she stepped back, eyeing the two in confusion.

"W-what...?" She asked, reaching her hand up to brush her braid to the back of her head.

Roger smirked, "Do you want to go to the dance? It's all over your face. I know you've never been to one before." He finished, pointing in the direction of the sound.

"You've never been to a dance?" Axel gasped, his emerald orbs landing on hers as he raised his eyebrows in disbelief. "How?"

"Um...I just..." She trailed off, looking down at the brick ground and thinking about it. "Maybe we shouldn't then."

"Uh, no, you and I can go together!" Axel blurted, Freya looking up in surprise, seeing his flustered face and smiling softly. Roger snickered, muttering something as Axel's face reddened more and he turned, limping forward. "Come on."

Freya looked at Roger, then followed. She heard Roger following as they traveled toward the sound. Freya followed Axel, her blue eyes straying to the people who walked in the same direction. She noticed a few colorful banners that hung loosely from some stable buildings as they grew closer, the sound of gentle music growing louder as they approached. Music joined and intertwined with the sound of laughter and talking as they rounded a corner.

All three of them stopped, seeing the dance. There was an open, clear area on the streets, in the middle of an intersection where people danced in the center. A stage was toward the side of the road, holding some violinists and a few trumpets and more instruments. Freya looked to her left, seeing small tables with little cakes and some other cute snacks piled neatly onto them, people walking by and filling glasses with wine or water as they grabbed a snack. She took in the lights that were strung over the area where people danced, swaying gently to the soft music as a few children played closer toward the stage. Freya sighed softly, wondering how she hadn't attended something like this before. It was so pretty...