14. Not an accident

Axel's P.O.V-

Axel's emerald eyes snapped up, seeing a brawny, tall shadow against the wall in front of him and he knew that it was not Freya. Axel watched as the shadow became smaller and more defined and closed in. He had been seen, no doubt, and Axel realized quickly the mess he had just gotten himself into.

Still crouched carefully on the ground, he slowly stood up, his hand gripping a wooden beam that supported the ceiling as he tried not to move his ankle too much. Turning around, Axel met the alarmed and suspicious gaze of the young man who had been with Freya. Roger, that was his name. Axel stood straight, chin lifted high and not a trace of fear in his green eyes as he waited. Roger was very tall, now that he was in front of him. Axel noticed that the top of his dark haired head probably only reached his chin. Roger was shocked at what he had found in the barn, his hazel eyes narrowing and his grip on the hammer in his hand tightening.

"Roger..." Axel quietly and slowly said, his voice cautious but giving away his German accent as his eyes stayed locked on Roger's. He wanted to tell Roger he wasn't a thief and wasn't harm, but he didn't know those English words yet. He hoped that Roger didn't know about the lost German soldier that was wanted, but in all honestly Axel didn't look pure German anyways. He looked more mixed with his wavy black hair and freckled face and green eyes.

Roger's chiseled face was an expression of shock and suspicion as Axel said his name. But, Axel knew that Roger had also probably heard his light German accent. Axel kept on of his hands on the beam as he waited for whatever Roger would say or do. Where was Freya? He lifted his ankle, the splint holding up well, but he wanted to keep it off the ground. Roger's eyes flickered down at his splint for a moment, then back up to Axels face, studying him intently. Then, it all clicked and Rogers eyes widened.

"You're the German soldier!" Roger exclaimed, all shock on his face gone and replaced with hatred. Axel shook his head, his heart beginning to pick up speed as Roger took a step forward, forcing Axel to leave his supportive beam and take a small step backward.

"Don't lie to me, German dog." Roger spat, his hand flipping the hammer as he continued taking steps forward, forcing Axel back.

Oh no.

"W-wait-"

Roger interrupted Axel, gripping the hammer tightly and glaring. "Wait for what? Hitler to take England with your help? You're probably a spy, here to gather information!" He paused, looking down at the hammer with a sudden interest. "They want you dead or alive, you know that? And whoever turns you in gets rewarded. A good amount of money, too." It was almost as if Roger was talking to himself now, voice low and dark as Axel read his body language to try to figure out what he was saying. He had no clue, he understood a few words but not much.

Axel swallowed nervously, looking around for an escape. There weren't any exits, except for the windows near the doors that led into the barn but he would have to get past Roger first. Axel looked back up at Roger. Roger smirked.

"I'm turning you in. You can make this easy and let me tie your hands and we can go, or hard and i'll turn you in dead." Roger stated, staring at the boy in front of him as he reached behind him, grabbing a rope on the table nearby and holding it up. Roger realized quickly that Axel didn't speak English so he motioned for Axel to turn around and hold his hands out. Axel understood what Roger was trying to get him to do and his green eyes widened in fear. He was going to get turned in! Axel shook his head, limping backwards. Then, his back hit a wall. He was trapped.

It wasn't as if Axel would have a good chance of escape. He was an unusually fast runner, his mile time the lowest in his training squadron, a time of 5:38. But his ankle was broken and it hurt to stand on it so he didn't have a chance. He could fight his way out, but then he remembered that Roger was almost a head taller than him and Axel was disappointingly like a stick compared to Rogers built.