Chapter 3

Three Months Later

"So," Steve asks in between breaths and the pounding of our feet against the pavement, "I hear you convinced Tony to let you go to school? That's quite a feat. You excited?"

"It's a mix of emotions. On one hand, I'm excited to not be trapped in the facility anymore, but it's also terrifying to have to start from scratch this late in the semester. Plus, if anyone finds out who my dad is—I'm screwed."

Steve slows down earlier than usual for our morning run, and I try to hold back a sigh knowing he's about to go into the same defensive, overprotective mode my dad does when giving life advice. "Look, kid. It's gonna be fine. My advice is to just go in there and be yourself. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure you can show them plenty of reasons why they're wrong."

I let out a laugh and push my sunglasses up on my sweaty face. "Well, either way, I gotta get ready. I still need to shower, and I can't be late on the first day." Steve just smiles and shakes his head as he continues the rest of our routine run without me.

Although, now that I think about it, everything about my previous schedule is going to change. No more morning runs with Cap, training with Natasha and Wanda, lunches with Dad, or meditative debates with Vision. And I realize how much I'm going to miss it.

"You ready, bugs?" Dad asks as he looks up from whatever he's reading on his tablet. "Or would you want to go grab you patrol gear so you can just hit the streets right after school?"

My stomach drops at the accusation—mostly because it's true, and it means he knows. "I—um—I should probably explain. Yes, I've been patrolling as Phantom, but I promise I've been careful. It's just—I've done so much damage these past months, I wanted to know that I did something good—something to help people instead of destroy them.

"Plus, when I'm out there, I feel like–like I can breathe again. You know, for the longest time, I wondered why I was given these gifts, if I was meant to use them or if it was just an accident. But they can be used to help people, and I want to do that. I just—I probably should have talked to you first."

"You're right, you should have." Dad lets out a sigh as he stands. "But, I can't be mad at you for being my stubborn, determined daughter. So we'll talk about this after school. Okay? Just know you're not in too much trouble."

My head snaps up so fast that my glasses nearly fly off, which gives me a painful flash of light. I wince for a second and look at Dad with scrunched eyes. "Really? You're not mad?"

"No, I'm very mad, but I'll learn to get over it if it means you'll be safer and happier with my help. Because I know there's no stopping a Stark–especially when we put our minds to something." He tells me with a soft smile and hands me my bag. "Now, go have a good time at the new school. Just don't mention being a Stark, it's not safe if people know."

"I know, Dad. Don't worry, I'll be fine." I reassure him with a kiss on the cheek. Although, it does nothing to ease my own nerves. They continue to rattle in my chest and make my leg bounce in the front seat of the plain town car Happy's driving me in.

It's terrifying. A new school means people asking questions, a whole new round of awkward conversations before friendship, and so many secrets to keep from everyone. I suppose it's the price I have to pay to have a little bit of normal again.

"Alright, here we are—Midtown School of Science and Technology." Happy states as he parks. "You know the rules, right? Call if you have an attack, no Stark talk, and text updates to your dad every hour."

"Make friends, and don't sass the teachers?" I tease with a soft grin that hopefully hides my nerves. "Don't worry about me, Happy. I promise to call if there's any problems."