Chapter 10

"This doesn't make any sense." I whisper as I try to decipher the copied files from Jim's office. My head is throbbing after staring at the same pages for the past few hours. I should have gone to sleep hours ago, but every time I try, there's a nightmare waiting for me.

A knock echoes through the apartment, and I hastily shove the papers into a folder to hide them away from prying eyes—an old habit I have yet to break. It takes me a second to realize it's not at my bedroom, but the front door that the sound is emanating from. A peek at my clock shows a set of blobs from the bright light until I put my glasses and read 8:58 am.

"Oh-um—Tony. What are you doing here?" Mum's muffled voice makes it into my room, and I nearly launch myself at the sound of Dad's name. "I thought you were out of the country for another few days."

"Plans changed, and I was hoping I could pick up Lia?" He questions as his footsteps into the apartment. "You're looking good by the way, Claire."

"Thank you. Can I get you anything while you wait?" I cringe at the second hand awkwardness that emanates from between them. It's always been like this, which means I usually have to stop it. "Oh, Lia, your father's here to pick you up."

I don't wait another second before I launch myself into his arms. "Hi, Dad." His laughter sends vibrations through me. "Please, don't leave like that again."

"Trust me, I wouldn't want to." He brushes a hand over my hair. His voice drops down to a barely audible whisper as he says, "Go pack up your stuff. We've got some things to sort out."

"I'll go grab my bag." I tell him with a worried look. My hands shake as I try to toss clothes and the files into my bag with everything else I brought. "I'm ready. Bye, Mum."

"Bye, Sweetheart. Call me if you forgot or need anything." She calls after us, and I shout an affirmation over my shoulder as I practically drag Dad out to the car.

"Tell me everything that happened." I whisper  the moment we leave the apartment, which makes him let out a heavy sigh as he fills me in on all the details I'm missing. "This is wrong, Dad." I whisper after he has finished recounting every detail of the issues the Accords have caused. "It shouldn't be happening like this. We should be trying to reason and talk with them—not threatening arrest."

"Trust me, bug. I'm doing everything I can to fix this." His brown eyes reflect the pain and heartache I feel as he settles himself on the couch next to me with a heavy sigh. "The thing is—Steve is stubborn and immensely loyal to Bucky, which means this isn't gonna end well. I just—I need to know that you believe me when I say that all I want is to keep the team together, and I am doing everything with the intention of keeping the Avengers together and operating."

I lean forward and wrap my arms around him. "Yeah, I know. They're our family, and families should fight for each other." I bite back the tears as he pulls away with a soft smile. "Just promise me it will be okay—that by the end of this, we'll still be together?"

Tears brim in my dad's eyes at the words. "I don't know if I can promise that, but I can promise that you'll always have me." A small chuckle escapes him as he continues, "'Cause you're stuck with me, kiddo."

I laugh and wipe my eyes, a little frustrated that they'll be red and puffy again tomorrow. "Pretty sure it's the other way around, but okay."

"Well, I've gotta start working on figuring out what to do." He offers me a sad smile as he leaves me to my own devices.

I plop myself down on the couch with a heavy sigh. It's nine thirty on a Sunday, and I have absolutely nothing to do but stress about things I can't change or understand. After all, Dad is dealing with the Accords stuff and won't let me help right now, and there's no telling what Jim's up to.