Chapter 28

one year, eight months, twenty-three days later

It still hurts after all this time. I hate myself for every minute that I have to keep lying, but I can't do anything about it even now. Which is what brings me here, practically begging Dad to let me tell Peter.

"Dad, please, I've been lying to him for almost two years now. He's been my partner for over a year and a half. Don't you think he's earned enough trust and the right to know?" I ask him with a stern expression. "I don't think I can keep doing this without being honest with him."

"We've talked about all this before, bug. It's not safe with everything going on." He sighs and rubs his temples. "I promise, when it's safe, you can tell him."

"And when will it ever be safe? Because I've learned, there's always going to be another threat, whether it be a terrorists or villains or reporters. There will never be a 'perfect time'—for anything. So forgive me if I have trouble believing that." I cry, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go get ready for training with Peter."

"Lia—" Dad calls, but apparently decides against following me, which I'm thankful for. Mostly because it means he can't see me wiping away the tears of frustration.

I try not to slam my door and become a cliche teenage girl. It's just hard to understand why Dad won't let me tell Peter the truth. He's known him for almost two years now—trusted him with so much for that long. So why won't he let me tell him at least part of my big secret.

"Peter sent you a message saying he's on his way." ARTI tells me, and I let out a huff.

I don't have much time to get changed. So I quickly slip on my training clothes and mask. It's all I really need since the mask keeps my face and voice disguised.

Although, a part of me wants to meet him without anything another than my glasses and claim it was an accident. I doubt Dad would believe it though, and more importantly, it's not how I want to tell Peter or have him find out.

So, I adjust my mask and head into the training room. "ARTI, turn on the training playlist and crank it up." My hips start to move to the beat as I wrap my hands in tape. "Oh, ARTI, be sure to tell Parker to hurry up. He's already late."

"He's speaking with Mr. Stark at the moment." ARTI echoes back, and all the frustration from earlier returns to the surface. Because as much as Dad tries to argue, it's a different story for him.

I turn to the bag and aim a series of punches and kicks. Each one makes the anger burn hotter and closer to the surface. It keeps me going long past the time my knuckles start to ache and tears of frustration begin to fall.

"Woah. What did that bag ever do to you?" Peter shouts as he turns off the music, and my head snaps in his direction. He seems to notice my lack of cheerful greeting judging by the look on his face. "You okay?"

"Fine. Just frustrated." I say and brush a fallen piece of hair from my face. "Did you bring your suit?"

"I always do." He says and pulls it out of his backpack. "Why?"

"Put it on. I'll explain on the way." Peter stutters before reluctantly following my directions to the locker room. I spin my watch's face to the last known location of my source and sigh. It's been over thirty six hours since it went dark, and as much as I want it to be nothing more than a technical malfunction, chances are it's not.

Of course, it's been making a bit more on edge recently, and I may or may not have taken it out on Dad a bit today. His responses about telling Peter and excuses of the "dangers" made me realize I can't tell him what I'm about to do. So, I make sure he's not around to see us ditching training as I slip back into my room and put on the suit.