Chapter 25

"You sure you wouldn't rather be at homecoming with your friends?" Happy asks as I emerge from the lab in my Phantom suit. "The plane's got a lot of security and trackers. You really don't have to be on it."

"I'm sure." I tell him and thank the fact that I have my suit on. Mostly because the mask and voice modifier hide my red eyes and trembling voice.

I don't even know what kind of excuse I could make to Happy about it. Because I certainly can't tell him that I think I'm in love with my best friend, who just so happened to ask someone else, and I couldn't bear having to see them together all night long.

It takes me a second to realize that Happy long since walked away to shout at the movers about the boxes and checking each item off his list. I grab my phone from the table and decide to head onto the plane. Dad and I reconfigured the system, but I want to manually calibrate the controls.

At the very least, working on the plane should distract me from Ned's texts about if I'm coming to Homecoming and the still sinking feeling in my gut. For once, I'd love to just block it all out—not answer Ned and pretend I'm probably wrong about this whole thing, but I can't.

I've never exactly been good at letting things go easily. Even if it hurts, I have this tendency to hold on—like with the REM Trials or my feelings for Peter. It can keep punching me in the face or opening old wounds, yet I'll still keep looking for answers or hoping that one day Peter will look at me the same way I do him.

No, I can't focus on that right now.

"That's the last of it." Happy calls from the back of the plane. "Everything all set?"

"Yep. The system's upgraded and ready to go." I tell him with a smile and lean against a crate. "It'll send an update if anything happens, and obviously, I'll be monitoring and keeping everything running from on board."

"Alright, then. You should be landing at the new facility within the hour."

"Sounds like a plan." I smile with a quick thumbs up. My phone buzzes in my pocket, but I ignore it assuming it's another text from someone asking why I'm not at homecoming. Why everyone makes such a big deal about one school dance is beyond me, but then again, I was too until Peter asked Liz.

I shake my head to dispel the thoughts. Instead, I decide to practice my phasing and pass my hand into one of the crates. It goes pretty well until I get distracted. There's a bright glowing coming from a little farther into the plane, and I swear my stomach drops all the way down to the ground thirty-thousand feet below.

"ARTI," I whisper as a figure emerges from the glowing purple square, "tell Happy we've got a situation."

"It appears all communications are currently being blocked." ARTI replies, and I feel the full weight of the situation come crushing down on me. "I'll keep working to get the message through, but I suggest proceeding with the utmost caution."

I ignore ARTI as I creep through the crates to follow Vulture toward the cockpit. He opens up his mask and attaches something to main console, while asking questions to who I assume is a member of his team. It's quiet as he turns the dials and adjusts the plane's course.

The shift in trajectory makes me nearly lose my footing, and I have to scramble to regain it before creeping up behind Vulture as he surveys the wide array of crates with wide eyes. "Hot dog." He whispers in awe and remains completely unaware of my presence until the shadows wrap around his wrist, and my fist meets his jaw.

A low growl emits from he as he struggles against the binds. He tries to land a kick that I have to dodge in the cramped space. I move to cuff him, but the plane shifts, which sends me stumbling to the floor and Vulture free.