Chapter 32

I can't stop smiling as I get ready for the day. It's Friday, which means the class field trip to MOMA and my first official date with Peter. The thought alone is enough to make my heart start pounding in my chest, in the best way.

This is the first time I think I've ever felt like this in as long as I can remember, and I can't hide the bounce in my step as I head out to grab breakfast. Dad immediately takes notice and offers me a puzzled look. "What's got you in such a bright mood this early?"

"It's Friday." I retort as I steal a piece of his fruit. "What about you? Don't think I didn't notice that deep-in-thought look on you face when I walked in."

"Nothing, I just had a dream that I was thinking about." He pauses for a moment and looks at my watch. "I'm glad to see you're wearing the nano tech."

"Of course, you never know when something's gonna happen and you'll need a suit."

"Yeah, that's what I tell Pepper." He pauses for a moment, once again in thought. "I wanted to ask you, how would you feel about a sibling?"

"Wait, is—is Pepper—?"

"No, not that I know of. I just had a dream that we had a kid, and it just felt so real that it got me thinking. Still, I want to make sure you'd be okay with it if we did." He pauses and looks at me for an answer.

I stand there for a minute, silent and shocked. It's hard to figure out how to feel about the idea of a new sibling, but the longer I think about it, the more panicked Dad becomes. "Lia?" He calls after a few minutes of tense silence, which snaps me out of my thoughts as I launch myself to hug him.

"I think that whenever it happens, they'll be the luckiest kid in the world." I reply before pulling back to look him in the eye, "I mean, they'd have to be to have you as their dad. You've already been so amazing with me despite the time we missed, and they'll never have to wonder about how loved they are. Plus, Pepper is already an amazing mother to me."

A wide smile breaks across Dad's face at my reply. "They'd also be really lucky since they'll have you as a big sister, and I hope neither one of you will ever have to wonder how much I love you."

"Trust me, I haven't for a long time now." I smile at him before glancing at the clock. "Dang it, I've gotta run. Keep me updated if you find out anything about that dream."

"Will do, bug." He replies with one last hug before I rush out the door with my bag over my shoulder and a bounce in my step.

Ned and Peter are both waiting for me by my locker when I make it to school, and I can't stop the giddy smile that breaks across my face. "Hey, guys. Ready for a day full of staring at modern art and trying to make sense of it?" I ask as I approach.

"I'm more excited what I'm doing later today."

"Wait, isn't your guy's first date tonight?" Ned asks as he motions between Peter and myself. We just nod in confirmation. "Finally! I've been waiting for this since you both admitted to liking each other months ago."

"Yeah, but I'm just glad we're doing it—no matter how long it took." I smile as Peter's hand finds mine. "C'mon, we should probably get our seats. Otherwise, I'll be stuck listening to Flash pretend he knows everything about anything. Please, don't make me endure that again."

"I promise, we'll do our best to avoid that." Peter replies as we all head out to the bus and see our class mates happily chatting about our day free from class.

"Hey, Lia, losers." MJ smiles as both the boy's just shake their heads and start their own conversation. It makes me laugh slightly as I lean against the dingy, yellow bus next to her. "I brought your book back. You were right; it's pretty awesome."