Chapter 29

warnings: mentions of verbal and emotional abuse and sexual harassment

My phone buzzes next to me, and I sigh seeing messages from Will and Harley clouding my screen. I sigh and regret letting the two of them interact or agreeing to a group chat. Lately the only topic has been my feelings for Peter and all the reasons I should tell him since it's been a week without him telling MJ.

I can't bring myself to say anything to him though. Each time I see him, I lose any bit of courage I had as the fear of losing him starts to take over again. He's been my closest friend since the first week of us knowing each other, and I can't see the point in risking that when I know he doesn't reciprocate my feelings.

It's quiet in the flat since Dad and Pepper are asleep at this hour, which is something I haven't quite been able to do lately. Between the pure dread of waiting for Peter to tell MJ his feelings and trying to find whatever is buried in the files from OSCORPS, sleep is the last thing I've been able to do.

Unfortunately, Will keeps adamantly reminding me of the promise I made to him almost two years ago, in which I agreed to "Go make friends, be reckless, snog a boy or two, eat lots of chips, and just live my bloody life." He apparently wrote it down like the weirdo best friend he is. It just doesn't seem enough; I need advice from someone who would understand.

My fingers hover over the contact I'm technically not supposed to have. I mean, after everything that's happened, I'm still on thin ice as far as Secretary Ross and the Accords are concerned. If they knew I was in contact with Wanda, Nat, and everyone else, they'd lock me up and throw away the key.

I just don't understand how I'm supposed to cut off the people who have become my family. Especially because they did nothing besides stand up for what they believed. Yet, the Sokovia Accords tore away some of my closest friends and confidantes from me.

It takes me a second to think it over before initiating the call. I bite my lip and pray this isn't a bad idea. The phone on the other end rings for what feels like an eternity before there's the telltale click. "Hey," I whisper nervously, "I'm sorry for calling, but I—I just needed to talk to you."

"You know you never have to apologize to me." Wanda's voice is calm and clear on the other line. "Is everything all right?"

"Not really." My voice almost cracks as the emotions overwhelm me. "You remember everything I told you about Peter? Well, he—um—he told me as Phantom that he likes my friend MJ. Now, I don't know what to do. It hurt so much when he was infatuated with Liz, and for a second, I actually thought about telling him. But I'm not sure if it would just ruin our friendship since I know he doesn't feel the same way, and—and—" I burst into tears, unable to get another coherent syllable out.

Wanda's voice is quiet and reassuring as she slowly guides me into calming down and brings Nat into the loop. They both interact in whispers before finally directing anything to me. "Do you want us to come back and kick some sense into him? Because we will."

"I was going to say that you might be better off telling him instead of keeping it a secret, but I'd be willing to beat him up for you." Wanda adds, her accent thickening as she lets out a laugh.

"I appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't want you to get arrested over my boy troubles, which I already feel stupid for calling about." I sigh and anxiously twist and untwist my hair in and out a braid. "But—if he likes MJ, wouldn't it just ruin our friendship if I told him?"

"Not if he's really your friend. If he is, then you two will find a way to work it out and find a new normal for your friendship." Wanda replies in the same soft way she did when we first met and so many other times. "Plus, we know how much you hate lying, so it will feel better to get it off your chest."