Chapter 23

As if Monday's didn't already suck enough, it's right after the ferry ordeal, Vulture's escape, my near meltdown, and Dad hovering ever since. I don't know whether to be happy or frustrated with having to come to school today. Because on one hand, it means a short reprieve from Dad, but on the other, it means having to deal with people for that time.

"Just make it through today." I repeat in my head in time with the pounding of my migraine. Peter smiles at me from his locker across the hallway, and it makes the pain dull for just a moment before I turn back to my locker to grab my books.

"Hey, Lia." Flash calls as he leans against the locker next to mine, much to the annoyance of the boy who was just about to get into it. "So, homecoming is coming up."

"I know, and the answer is 'no.'" I tell him as I slam my locker shut, laughing to myself as the edge of his jacket gets pinned in for a second.

He grimaced and tugs his jacket free before hiding the annoyance under a ridiculous smirk. "'No' to what? I didn't ask anything—yet."

"It was a preemptive response. I'm pretty sure I know what you were going to say, but if not, the answer is probably still 'no.'" I call over my shoulder and duck into class before he can catch up to me. Peter enters a moment later with a curious look on his face. "Oh no, what's that look for?"

"What was that with you and Flash?" He asks, and I try not to read into the way he fidgets in his seat and clenches his jaw. After all, he's probably just looking out for me as a friend.

"It was just him being stupid and annoying—which isn't unusual." I smile at him, but it shifts my glasses just enough to let in an extra bit of light, which makes me clench my fists at the sharp pain.

Peter immediately notices the minor shift, and his face scrunches in concern. "You okay?" I nod, which he clearly doesn't believe, but Miss Harmon starts the class before he can say anything.

Still, Peter keeps glancing at me as the lesson drags on. I'd be a total liar if I said it didn't make my palms get all sweaty and nervous each time he does. Maybe it's because of my feelings for him or the sweet, soft look in his eyes, but it makes my heart pound more than it should.

I do my best to ignore it and all thoughts of it as the day continues on. It mostly goes by in worried glances from Peter, and Flash bugging me in sad attempts to make me his homecoming date. Each time he approaches with that smug expression, I have to use every ounce of self-control to not wipe it off his face. Because there's no way I'd ever go with him.

Not just because he's a jerk and reminds me of Henry. It's a little bit more complicated than just that. As much as I don't want to admit it, the truth is pretty obvious. I want it to be Peter.

Even if he asked me as my friend, I would whole-heartedly agree. I doubt he'll ever see me as anything more than a friend or look at me with a fraction of the admiration he does Liz. Still, I keep hoping.

"So," Flash smirks as he blocks my path to the cafeteria, "have you changed your mind about my offer for homecoming yet?"

"If I had, I wouldn't be here." I tell him, which makes him give me a curious look, "I'd be checking myself into the nearest asylum."

Flash huffs as I move around him and wave to Peter and Ned, who have been waiting for me. But Flash's hand grabs my wrist and tugs me back, silently informing me he has different plans. "C'mon, Lia." He says as I stumble back, "Don't be like that. At least look me in the eyes and tell me 'no.'"

I barely get a chance to register Flash's hand reaching out until it's too late. His hand retracts, and it takes my glasses with it.

Everything is in a haze of searing, sharp pain that makes me collapse on the ground with a scream that draws the whole cafeteria's attention. Gasps and whispers erupt at the scene. I struggle to hear them as I push through the pain in search of my glasses.