Chapter 4: The following morning.

The soft knock on Kendra's bedroom door caused her to stare at the door in apprehension. She took a deep breath and got up from her perch at her window seat and reluctantly went to answer it.

She was surprised to see her sister standing there. Mallory was never a morning person and as she stood aside to let her in her apprehension did not quell. For her to be here seconds after their dad departed left her wondering if this was a meeting she was going to regret.

"Is everything ok Lory?" she quickly asked hoping to still for a while what was to come.

Mallory looked around the room that had changed. There was no longer the rows of stuffed toys on the shelves that their father had installed but books of various sizes. The posters too were different they were mostly depicting various gothic animated creatures,  some looked to be drawings and sketches.

Those were unexpected and she looked at her sister who stared back at her. "Nice," she mumbled.

Kendra laughed and patted the space next to her. "Thanks, but all these are characters from a comic series a friend of...well not a friend, mostly an employer as he pays me to put to life these creatures; give them an existence."

"Ok, kool," her sister said glancing back at the pictures, "aww...but could you not have chosen to put your talent to less creepy, scary details."

"You know me never been one to stick to the norm for long."

Mallory looked at the however neat room at the dark shades mixed with the slightly charming details of pink and creme.

She glanced at few pictures and stared at the ones that had Kendra in everything black, chained and spiked then only to see her all girly and beautiful in pics with her two friends. The contrast was somewhat creepy and overwhelming.

She made another observation too, the pictures of mum were gone along with those of their father. The room had so much to say and yet she couldn't put into clarity what it was saying or to be honest, she did not want to.

"You never answered me."

"Huh?"

"Are you Ok?"

"I came to find out if you are?"

Kendra knew it was no use going around it but she was not going to give it all up either so she started with a piece of the truth.

"I have learned to live with father and understand that things will no longer be the same now that mother is dead. Whatever you saw last night just know that we have to make life as it is."

"Ken...."

"Please," she said beseechingly, "you came home and soon you will be gone, but until then all I want is to finally have a little normalcy for once."

Kendra gripped Mallory's hand and stared imploring in her eyes.
Mallory returned the stare but her eyes were worried. "Has father abused you?"

"Lory!", Kendra gasped."Father is not like that!"

"I know phone calls, texts and emails does not make things the same as having someone around, but know I never abandoned you. I just could not offer father the support he would have needed after mother passed."

Kendra heard the tears in her sister's voice and hugged her close to her but the eyes that were hidden behind Mallory's back was remorseless.

"Ssshhh don't cry I am fine."

Mallory pulled away and smiled at her. "You were always the strong one.
The way you held things together during those hard months when mum was here suffering being the most responsible and...."

"Hey quit it...go and get dress we need to make breakfast for that handsome hunk of yours," she said cutting her off and redirecting the conversation.

"Handsome hunk heh?" her sister giggled. "I have to go by the law office of Jones and Burgen, I have an appointment with the managing director so you are going to have that handsome hunk all by yourself until I return, but I plan to take us all out to dinner."

If only Mallory knew the sadistic excitement that the knowledge of being alone with Cleon brought her she would have ensured she kept Cleon away.

"Ok," she said softly thinking of nothing but being alone with Cleon.

"Did you have other plans?"

"No."

"Good I am going to get ready."

Kendra watched as Mallory left and gave a delightful giggle as she hugs herself in delight. The morning was going to be great after all.

************************************
Thanks for reading chapter 4 and leaving your vote...love some comments too 😁😄😉