[4]

***

[Saturday July 16th, 1988]

The more I lied to Denise, the more I felt uncomfortable with being around her. I know how bad her attitude could get and once she finds out about me having so much as a conversation with michael, she'd flip.

Taking a seat on a barstool, James greeted me with a smile. "The usual?" He asked.

"How about some Whiskey this time." I said. James was surprised with my order but went on ahead to make it. He passed me a glass and I downed the drink, asking for another.

"Is there something bothering you?" James asks, noticing how fast I was drinking the whiskey.

"I'm fine." I said, putting my head into my hands.

"I won't pressure you into telling me, but just know you could talk to me about it. I'm more than just your boss." James assures, trying to make me better. I lifted my head out of my hands and gave him a small smile, letting him know that I listened to him. I asked for another shot and he made sure I got it. I quickly drunk it and made a face at the burning sensation down my throat.

I better go get ready." I said as I stood from my seat at the bar. James nodded then went back to cleaning glasses. I wandered off into the dressing room and seen girls scrambling to get dressed. Few girls stood in the mirror perfecting their makeup while others sat around smoking cigarettes and talking. I changed into a black lace set with black heals to match. My hair was straightened down my back and I wore light makeup. Tonight I was hitting the stage with two more girls with me.

The girls and I entered the stage after the announcer called us to the stage. I strutted towards the pole that was smack dead in the middle of the stage while the other two girls occupied the poles that resided next to the one I was on. I spun around the pole then stopped in front of it, dropping down low then slowly coming back up.

The men whistled and cheered in the crowd as I did so. My hands went behind my back to unhook my bra, taking it completely off and throwing it in the crowd. Just as I did that, I saw Michael fighting his way though the crowd to get to the front of the stage. I covered my breasts with my arm then turned around to where my back was facing the audience.

Before I could make another move, I heard gunshots fire around the club. I gasped then ran off stage, not knowing what to do or where to run. I felt a hand grab me and pull me down to the floor behind a table in the back of the club. I realized that Michael was the one who grabbed me. He retrieved his own gun and fired at the crowd as people tried to find a exit. I was terrified as Michael led us to the back of the club where the dressing rooms were.

"Get dressed now, and fast!" He said, closing the door. I didn't have time to put back on the clothes I wore before so I only put on a robe then grabbed my duffle bag. Michael and I ran out of the room and out the back door, finding his car and getting in. Michael started the car then sped off to a more safer place. The car was silent as Michael tried to get away as quickly as he could. I was a bit shaken up, seeing that this was the first time the club was shot up.

"Are you alright?" Michael finally spoke, breaking the silent that once took over us.

"I'm fine, who was those people shooting?" I asked, concern taking over me.

"Don't worry." Michael said, rage taking over him. "I could have lost my life tonight so yes I'm gonna worry. Who was those people?" I asked again.

"It has nothing to do with you so don't worry about it." He said and I decided not to ask him again, seeing how angry he was. He pulled up in front of my apartment and my eyes widen, wondering how he knew where I lived.